Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

I wonder if you could help me please? I am interested in pursuing a career as a mental health nurse but I have a few questions:

1. Personal care - do mental health nurses or mental health nursing students do this? If so, is this something that is dependent on where i'm working?

2. What is the scope for further development? I understand it is very early to ask a question about this but where is the role going? I've got a friend who was a RMN about 10 years ago and he left and became a paramedic as he said it wasn't going anywhere. Have things changed? Are there ANP roles? Prescribing roles? What can these more developed roles do?

3. I'm really struggling with the lines between RMN and MHSW. I understand RMN's deal with health care and MHSW deal with social care but it appears their roles overlap. I also note that MHSW are Band 6 whereas RMN's are Band 5, is this reflective of responsibility?

I spent a day with a CPN 11 years ago and I loved what she did. I have also worked alongside Crisis Teams but the last time I did that was 6 years ago. I understand things change and I no longer have access to these people hence why i'm asking on here.

Any advice/comments would be gratefully received.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by NSF)
    Hi all

I wonder if you could help me please? I am interested in pursuing a career as a mental health nurse but I have a few questions:

1. Personal care - do mental health nurses or mental health nursing students do this? If so, is this something that is dependent on where i'm working?

2. What is the scope for further development? I understand it is very early to ask a question about this but where is the role going? I've got a friend who was a RMN about 10 years ago and he left and became a paramedic as he said it wasn't going anywhere. Have things changed? Are there ANP roles? Prescribing roles? What can these more developed roles do?

3. I'm really struggling with the lines between RMN and MHSW. I understand RMN's deal with health care and MHSW deal with social care but it appears their roles overlap. I also note that MHSW are Band 6 whereas RMN's are Band 5, is this reflective of responsibility?

I spent a day with a CPN 11 years ago and I loved what she did. I have also worked alongside Crisis Teams but the last time I did that was 6 years ago. I understand things change and I no longer have access to these people hence why i'm asking on here.

Any advice/comments would be gratefully received.
    1. Yes, you absolutely will be involved in personal care. In some settings, there is little or no personal care required, but it certainly will be a necessary aspect of your work.

2. You can work as far up the Agenda for Change bands as you like. You can complete masters degrees, PhDs etc. too. You can do prescribing courses once you have been qualified for a few years and can work as an ANP or go into management. You can become involved in emergency MH care. There are lots of options for progression, both clinical and non-clinical.

3. They are two entirely different professions which you would need to do different degrees to access. Mental health nurses begin their careers at Band 5, however can be band 6 too, depending on their role and experience. There are some overlaps as nurses provide holistic care and do have to deal with social issues however they are primarily healthcare professionals and deal with care planning and treatment. Honestly, this sort of interaction between roles is something you will understand more once you are in this sort of workplace.

Experience 11 and 6 years ago would likely not be considered relevant when applying to a nursing degree. You would be expected to have recent and relevant experience to demonstrate your commitment. Much has changed in MH care in that timeframe.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.