Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hey, I created this thread to see if anyone has had a similar experience with allergies, or maybe help those who have food allergies

I have severe nut, sesame and tomato allergies, amongst other foods. I also get a very dry, itchy, sore throat when eating some fruits (namely apples, peaches and pears). When I was five I went into anaphylactic shock, and have carried an epipen since then.

I was told that I was likely to have the allergy for life, and when I was retested at age 12 the allergies registered as more severe. As you can imagine this was quite frustrating

Anyway, onto the point of this thread - in 2017 I had a blood test for allergies, and for the first time, a skin prick test. On the blood test results I again registered severe for several types of nuts and sesame, along with severe for tree/ flower hayfever and off the scale severe (100+ measurement) for grass hayfever. Yet on the skin prick test the only two allergens I actually registered as allergic to were peanuts and sesame, which was a big surprise.

Cutting to the why of this, basically majority of my food allergies were caused by my hayfever. This is particularly significant because while I still can't have fresh nuts due to pollen on the surface of the nut, I theoretically can have pasteurised nuts, and have been recommended to try some hazelnut spread, something I never thought possible before. With a grass pollen hayfever 'cure' on the horizon, something may be able to be done about this allergy that I thought would affect me for life.

Nothing's certain, but I'm just really interested by the idea of cross-allergies and wonder how many nut allergy suffers out there have a similar issue that they don't know about, hence why I created this curious as to whether anyone else has this - I'd be really interested to hear if so
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2018
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.