Turn on thread page Beta

How to stop worrying about not setting personal best watch

ReputationRep:
    I've got a half marathon coming up in a few weeks and I am worried that I will not set a new personal best. For some reason I don't feel as fit as I did when I ran my last half marathon even though my training times are still similar to what I did last time, I've just got it into my head that I won't set a new personal best and it is bothering me. I know it is not always possible to set a new personal best at every race I do but how do I get these negative thoughts out of my head?

ReputationRep:
    You definitely can't get a PB all the time. As athletes we get injured and ill and other things like work get in the way.

The key to it all first and foremost is consistency. If you've strung a few weeks of solid training together, there's no reason to not believe you can get one. Secondly, how often do you race a half mara? If it's less frequently than other distances you'll expect a PB more than not - I race a HM less than once a year and I'm always after a PB when I run one. However, I run 5k 10+ times a year so my expectations are more limited in that respect.

PB or not, a HM is dead fun when your early target splits are conservative and you feel comfortable halfway. You slowly start to chew up the people that stormed away at the start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikePL)
    I've got a half marathon coming up in a few weeks and I am worried that I will not set a new personal best. For some reason I don't feel as fit as I did when I ran my last half marathon even though my training times are still similar to what I did last time, I've just got it into my head that I won't set a new personal best and it is bothering me. I know it is not always possible to set a new personal best at every race I do but how do I get these negative thoughts out of my head?
    Stop listening to yourself! Will you do your best on the day? As long as you can say "I couldn't do any better today" you can't grumble with that!

ReputationRep:
    It should be about enjoying it, not winning/setting records
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    You definitely can't get a PB all the time. As athletes we get injured and ill and other things like work get in the way.

The key to it all first and foremost is consistency. If you've strung a few weeks of solid training together, there's no reason to not believe you can get one. Secondly, how often do you race a half mara? If it's less frequently than other distances you'll expect a PB more than not - I race a HM less than once a year and I'm always after a PB when I run one. However, I run 5k 10+ times a year so my expectations are more limited in that respect.

PB or not, a HM is dead fun when your early target splits are conservative and you feel comfortable halfway. You slowly start to chew up the people that stormed away at the start.
    This is actually only my second half marathon I'll be running. I ran one last March and got 1 hour 36 minutes, however my training for this one has been interrupted due to being ill for ages and not being able to run. It's only the last few weeks I've been out running again and whilst I felt slower my training times were similar to what I was doing last year.

ReputationRep:
    Focus on behaviour, not outcome. Have fun. Run hard. Visualise running in a carefree way...are you really going to let a time tell you that you ran well?

Take happiness from the fact that you tried your hardest or are going to try your hardest at the sport you love.

You got this.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.