The Student Room Group

Going to Bangor University with the Open Uni + also about student loan/finance

Hi I would like to study Linguistics and the English language at Bangor University. I am 18 and don’t have any a levels or equivalent so I have thought about going through the Open University. I am aware that you can take credits from level 1 modules http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/modules but I do not know
how many total credits Bangor University requires(60-120?). I would also require a loan for this but I believe I have to pay this back and it reduces my loan entitlement at degree level. How severely would it affect my loan entitlement? By the way I live in England. Thanks.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by emmarosef
Hi I would like to study Linguistics and the English language at Bangor University. I am 18 and don’t have any a levels or equivalent so I have thought about going through the Open University. I am aware that you can take credits from level 1 modules http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/modules but I do not know
how many total credits Bangor University requires(60-120?). I would also require a loan for this but I believe I have to pay this back and it reduces my loan entitlement at degree level. How severely would it affect my loan entitlement? By the way I live in England. Thanks.

1) Contact Bangor and ask them. This is the only way you can be sure about how many credits you will need to take, and if they will accept it at all. Make that call today and ask if they can email you the response. Let me know if you encounter any issues.

2) Part-time funding is separate to your full-time entitlement so won't impact it other than with regards to the previous study rule, which won't apply to you as you won't be completing your degree with the OU.
Reply 2
Original post by ByronicHero
1) Contact Bangor and ask them. This is the only way you can be sure about how many credits you will need to take, and if they will accept it at all. Make that call today and ask if they can email you the response. Let me know if you encounter any issues.

2) Part-time funding is separate to your full-time entitlement so won't impact it other than with regards to the previous study rule, which won't apply to you as you won't be completing your degree with the OU.

Ok thank you very much for your help
Reply 3

Sorry just re read your answer. The course can be done part time but full time in one year also which is what I would like to do so it is Full time. This is the course http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/t09#course-details
Sorry just re read your answer. The course can be done part time but full time in one year also which is what I would like to do so it is Full time. This is the course http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/t09#course-details

The Open University counts as part-time study no matter how many credits you study in one year. You will learn at a full-time rate, but SFUK will consider you a part-time student.
Reply 5
The Open University counts as part-time study no matter how many credits you study in one year. You will learn at a full-time rate, but SFUK will consider you a part-time student.

Ok didn't realise this thank you
Ok didn't realise this thank you

For your reference, even if it were considered part of your full-time entitlement this wouldn't preclude you getting a loan for the full degree. You are (typically) entitled to length of course + one year - any years already used. So, for a three year degree, most people have a total of four years of funding available.

With any of these things, including the OU info above, I recommend that you call and confirm things with SFUK because they are liable to change their policies and I can't ensure that I am always completely up to date with every circumstance.

The first thing you need to do is discuss your plan with the university, however.
Reply 7
For your reference, even if it were considered part of your full-time entitlement this wouldn't preclude you getting a loan for the full degree. You are (typically) entitled to length of course + one year - any years already used. So, for a three year degree, most people have a total of four years of funding available.

With any of these things, including the OU info above, I recommend that you call and confirm things with SFUK because they are liable to change their policies and I can't ensure that I am always completely up to date with every circumstance.

The first thing you need to do is discuss your plan with the university, however.

Thank you very helpful. I’m currently waiting for a reply from the university on whether they accept this qualification. And then hopefully I’ll get onto student finance .
Thank you very helpful. I’m currently waiting for a reply from the university on whether they accept this qualification. And then hopefully I’ll get onto student finance .

Best of luck.
Reply 9
Best of luck.

As regards paying the loan back what are the differences between the part time loan and full time ? Thanks for answering
As regards paying the loan back what are the differences between the part time loan and full time ? Thanks for answering

I believe they effectively conflate them into one loan, which means that it has no functional impact on you. Again, I would seek clarification to be sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending