Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    is anyone else applying to this course? do you have any portfolio tips? i was planning to only apply to history of art courses but am now thinking i’d really miss making art (even though i’m not the most technically competent..i’m much stronger with conceptualization, which was why i wrote it off in the first place)

the deadline is march 24th and with how late this change of mind is, i’m gonna probably need until then. do places fill up quick? also, i’ve not done an arts foundation year (but am doing IB visual arts). on the site, kingston say they prefer foundation but consider level 3 qualifications. they empathize the foundation year more with the ~just~ fine arts course, so im hoping that i have a chance. my last question, i guess, is reputably, is kingston bigger on technique or concept? im veeryy strong at conceptualization but my technique could use some work. im more than willing to get better tho, and career-wise, this would be better for me as i want to be curator
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by remaal)
    is anyone else applying to this course? do you have any portfolio tips? i was planning to only apply to history of art courses but am now thinking i’d really miss making art (even though i’m not the most technically competent..i’m much stronger with conceptualization, which was why i wrote it off in the first place)

the deadline is march 24th and with how late this change of mind is, i’m gonna probably need until then. do places fill up quick? also, i’ve not done an arts foundation year (but am doing IB visual arts). on the site, kingston say they prefer foundation but consider level 3 qualifications. they empathize the foundation year more with the ~just~ fine arts course, so im hoping that i have a chance. my last question, i guess, is reputably, is kingston bigger on technique or concept? im veeryy strong at conceptualization but my technique could use some work. im more than willing to get better tho, and career-wise, this would be better for me as i want to be curator
    Hello:") I applied for the same course as you and got a conditional offer. I found myself in a very similar situation as you, because I didn't do art foundation either and I was terribly worried about it. (I'm doing a Level 3 Access to HE media course atm) I think they don't emphasise that much on technical skills, because i'm not that good at it either and still got an offer... (my portfolio was more about my concepts and ideas too!)

I went to the open day for this course and found out that it's rather small with only 10ish people each year. Half of the course will be fine art with fine art students, and half will be art history.

Hope this helps & good luck with your applications

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yz.hazel)
    Hello:" I applied for the same course as you and got a conditional offer. I found myself in a very similar situation as you, because I didn't do art foundation either and I was terribly worried about it. (I'm doing a Level 3 Access to HE media course atm) I think they don't emphasise that much on technical skills, because i'm not that good at it either and still got an offer... (my portfolio was more about my concepts and ideas too!)

I went to the open day for this course and found out that it's rather small with only 10ish people each year. Half of the course will be fine art with fine art students, and half will be art history.

Hope this helps & good luck with your applications
    ah that really helps! thank youu so much xxx I've got a couple more questions for you if that's alright tho, haha?

- what's the required number of images for the portfolio exactly? here (http://cdn.kingston.ac.uk/documents/...or_2017_18.pdf) it says 10. then here (https://www.kingston.ac.uk/faculties...-requirements/) it says 20? also does image = slide? or is there no limit on the number of slides I can have?

- they only ask for the portfolio after you've applied, right? how much time did they give u?

- && lastt question, when u went to the open day, were there any other things you took note of? about the course but even about the university in general? I can't go to one myself since i don't live in the uk, so I sort of have to gauge things from afar haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by remaal)
    ah that really helps! thank youu so much xxx I've got a couple more questions for you if that's alright tho, haha?

- what's the required number of images for the portfolio exactly? here (http://cdn.kingston.ac.uk/documents/...or_2017_18.pdf) it says 10. then here (https://www.kingston.ac.uk/faculties...-requirements/) it says 20? also does image = slide? or is there no limit on the number of slides I can have?

- they only ask for the portfolio after you've applied, right? how much time did they give u?

- && lastt question, when u went to the open day, were there any other things you took note of? about the course but even about the university in general? I can't go to one myself since i don't live in the uk, so I sort of have to gauge things from afar haha

glad i could help! xx

the portfolio requirement part is indeed confusing, but they will send you an email with clearer instructions and stuff after you send your application through. here's the screenshot of the email they sent to me, i think the requirement will be the same since we're applying the same course. i applied in january and they only gave me 2 weeks to upload my portfolio (which really freaked me out and stressed me a lot...hahaha)

the campus is located right next to river thames and the view is amazing. it's really near to kingston town centre, which is about a 20-minute train ride to london waterloo station.

the art history half takes place both in kingston school of art and other campuses of the uni, and it focuses more on art after 19th century. and they said that if you're interested in other courses like literature, philosophy or anything in other campuses, the uni can arrange for you to attend their lectures, which i think it's fantastic and doesn't happen a lot in other art schools. the fine art studios are in a newly built building with large space for everyone. there're about 70-90 students in each year (can't remember the exact numbers, but it's a large course)

Name:  屏幕快照 2018-03-02 下午7.11.50.png
Views: 40
Size:  241.7 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yz.hazel)
    glad i could help! xx

the portfolio requirement part is indeed confusing, but they will send you an email with clearer instructions and stuff after you send your application through. here's the screenshot of the email they sent to me, i think the requirement will be the same since we're applying the same course. i applied in january and they only gave me 2 weeks to upload my portfolio (which really freaked me out and stressed me a lot...hahaha)

the campus is located right next to river thames and the view is amazing. it's really near to kingston town centre, which is about a 20-minute train ride to london waterloo station.

the art history half takes place both in kingston school of art and other campuses of the uni, and it focuses more on art after 19th century. and they said that if you're interested in other courses like literature, philosophy or anything in other campuses, the uni can arrange for you to attend their lectures, which i think it's fantastic and doesn't happen a lot in other art schools. the fine art studios are in a newly built building with large space for everyone. there're about 70-90 students in each year (can't remember the exact numbers, but it's a large course)

Name:  屏幕快照 2018-03-02 下午7.11.50.png
Views: 40
Size:  241.7 KB
    yeaah the campus was a big appeal for me! jee thank you so much for your answers. I really appreciate the help xxx <3

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.