Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    1) peice of data from 9 people. data mean was 35.5 but one of the 9 people gave a value of 42 instead of 32

a) write down effect - obv the mean will increase since 42 is > mean

b) calculate new mean

so i thought b) was 32x8 + 42 divide by 9 but its not. confused!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by seconda1)
    1) peice of data from 9 people. data mean was 35.5 but one of the 9 people gave a value of 42 instead of 32

a) write down effect - obv the mean will increase since 42 is > mean

b) calculate new mean

so i thought b) was 32x8 + 42 divide by 9 but its not. confused!
    We have 35.5 = \dfrac{T_8 + 42}{9} where T_8 is the total data from 8 people and the 42 is the leftover data from the ninth person who got it wrong.

You want to use this equation to determine the value of \dfrac{T_8+32}{9}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    We have 35.5 = \dfrac{T_8 + 42}{9} where T_8 is the total data from 8 people and the 42 is the leftover data from the ninth person who got it wrong.

You want to use this equation to determine the value of \dfrac{T_8+32}{9}
    im confused was is t?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    im confused was is t?
    I've just explained it. It's a variable to denote the total of the other 8 people.

Like y'know, when calculating the mean of like 4 people you'd do something like \dfrac{1+2+3+4}{4} but you can freely take the sum of the first three numbers 1+2+3 = 6 and just rewrite the mean as  \dfrac{6+4}{4}. Same idea here, except we do not know the mean of the 8 people so we just denote it by T_8

ReputationRep:
    I've just explained it. It's a variable to denote the total of the other 8 people.

Like y'know, when calculating the mean of like 4 people you'd do something like \dfrac{1+2+3+4}{4} but you can freely take the sum of the first three numbers 1+2+3 = 6 and just rewrite the mean as  \dfrac{6+4}{4}. Same idea here, except we do not know the mean of the 8 people so we just denote it by T_8
    still confused

the mark scheme says 9x35.5 -10 / 9
    why is it -10?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    still confused

the mark scheme says 9x35.5 -10 / 9
    why is it -10?
    Because if you take the eq. I said and proceed to say

\begin{aligned} 35.5 & = \frac{T_8 + 42}{9} \\ & = \frac{T_8 + 32 + 10}{9} \\ & = \frac{T_8+32}{9} + \dfrac{10}{9}

then just subtract 10/9 from both sides to get the answer they're looking for.

ReputationRep:
    Because if you take the eq. I said and proceed to say

\begin{aligned} 35.5 & = \frac{T_8 + 42}{9} \\ & = \frac{T_8 + 32 + 10}{9} \\ & = \frac{T_8+32}{9} + \dfrac{10}{9}

then just subtract 10/9 from both sides to get the answer they're looking for.
    Name:  m.png
Views: 27
Size:  43.5 KB

so the data was said to have found a mean of 35.5 and then it says one person out of the 9 had the 42 instead of 32 so cant you work out the mean of 8 people because its 32x8/8?

cant seem to get my head around this
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

so the data was said to have found a mean of 35.5 and then it says one person out of the 9 had the 42 instead of 32 so cant you work out the mean of 8 people because its 32x8/8?

cant seem to get my head around this
    Why would you want the mean of 8 people? Also no, the mean of the 8 people is given by \dfrac{T_8}{8} = \dfrac{9\cdot 35.5-42}{8} instead.

Anyway, I don't know how else to explain it so I'll leave it to someone else. All I can do is repeat myself by saying that each person has data values of a_1, a_2, a_3, ..., a_8, 42 initially. We don't know the values of the first 8 people so we just denote them by a's. Then the mean is given by \dfrac{a_1 + a_2 + a_3 + ... + a_8 + 42}{9} = 35.5 however we know that the 42 was incorrectly entered instead of 32 therefore we must find the value of \dfrac{a_1+a_2+a_3 + ... a_8 + 32}{9} instead. I simply denoted the sum a_1+ a_2 + ... + a_8 = T_8 since we don't need to do anything with it and it takes up too much space.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 26, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.