The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

What’s it like studying with OU?

I’ve always wanted a degree, and now I’m almost 26 I think it’s about time I do it! Im looking at law or criminology and law. What are your experiences with the OU? I only got one full a level in English lit at grade c, and I’m a little worried that my essay writing skills are rubbish so if anyone else has struggled with that I’d really like to know how you got on!
The OU is brilliant. I thought I would feel isolated but I have exchanged almost 100 emails with my tutor (I began my degree on the 2nd of Feb 18). In addition to this, I have had chats and conversations with numerous of the English lecturers, one of them contacted me after a tutorial for a chat about me wanting to teach Literature. I honestly can't fault them, they are genuinely committed to delivering degree level education.

Essay writing is taught, your tutor will explain everything. They encourage you to email them when you are struggling. The tutorials also teach the structure and question analysis. They have tutorials for each assessed essay (online and physical). Your A-levels won't matter, I went from high school to the OU, I studied science A-levels and lit but fell seriously ill. You will be fine, all you need is some grit and determination to succeed.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Its not brilliant and not even a pleasant experience. Its worthwhile and ultimately rewarding.

Your teaching yourself a degree with minimal guidance. Its not easy.

It sounds silly, but youtube is a saviour -> It has high level lectures from any subject.

Prepare to make a lot of sacrifices in your social life (if you decide to do 120 credits alongside a full time job or even part time).

Prepare for a lot of late nights, because hey... we all work up to the deadlines no matter how organised we say we will be for the next assignment.

You'll even shed a tear into your pillow on occasion and you will defiantly be stressed.

One big piece of advice, I've found the online forums for modules at OU theres always someone who 'knows it all', probably because they have too much time on their hands and already read ahead but it can really make you feel like your not at the same level as others. So don't read the forums that much, concentrate on study calendar - lesson I learnt in year 2 and lifted my morale for year 3.

No exaggeration, It changed my life getting an OU physics degree.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Davidswift9
Its not brilliant and not even a pleasant experience. Its worthwhile and ultimately rewarding.

Your teaching yourself a degree with minimal guidance. Its not easy.

It sounds silly, but youtube is a saviour -> It has high level lectures from any subject.

Prepare to make a lot of sacrifices in your social life (if you decide to do 120 credits alongside a full time job or even part time).

Prepare for a lot of late nights, because hey... we all work up to the deadlines no matter how organised we say we will be for the next assignment.

You'll even shed a tear into your pillow on occasion and you will defiantly be stressed.

One big piece of advice, I've found the online forums for modules at OU theres always someone who 'knows it all', probably because they have too much time on their hands and already read ahead but it can really make you feel like your not at the same level as others. So don't read the forums that much, concentrate on study calendar - lesson I learnt in year 2 and lifted my morale for year 3.

No exaggeration, It changed my life getting an OU physics degree.

I second this :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you so much for your advice! I know it will be hard and I’m still undecided on my subject but I just don’t want to work at Greggs for the rest of my life and I want to do something that genuinely interests me. I’m prepared for hard work and stress so this has put my mind at ease quite a bit
Original post by Hailster92
Thank you so much for your advice! I know it will be hard and I’m still undecided on my subject but I just don’t want to work at Greggs for the rest of my life and I want to do something that genuinely interests me. I’m prepared for hard work and stress so this has put my mind at ease quite a bit

Then pick something interesting that will get you money. Science and engineering degrees are really top picks. I mean who doesn't find science and space documentaries interesting?

I started working in warehouses, like soul destroying ones, ones where a little piece of your soul leaves everytime you enter the building. I then completed a Physics degree, which no one can take away from me and now work designing spacecraft at a massive engineering company.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-41693230
Reply 6
I’m not good at physics, or science in general though! Money is great but it’s not a deal breaker for me as long as I can pay my bills and feed my pets - the harder I work and the better I get, regardless of my field, the more I will earn, and I’m happy with that. I’ve had so many jobs and they all get a bit soul destroying so I want to focus on my education to get out of that
I’m not good at physics, or science in general though!

Brain is a muscle. Requires training. No one is born good at something.

Call them up and chat with them. They are brilliant when it comes to course queries.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending