Turn on thread page Beta

Accepted a job offer, but want to work somewhere else watch

    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    8
    ReputationRep:
    Hi All,


    I know i'm in a comfortable position so I don't want to sound snobby/boasting at all.

    I've been offered 2 jobs as company X and company Y. Both are big companies.

    I basically accepted a job offer from company X, they sent me a virtual offer letter online and I accepted. I'm not sure if this is a contract or not. Regardless, I've been offered a job of my dreams at company Y, so I don't want to work for company X right now.


    Can I back out? I don't believe i've signed any legally binding, contractual agreement.


    Can someone give me a rundown of what to expect if I back out of company X, i.e potential blacklist.


    Should I wait out until company Y actually send me a contract to not make a mistake I will regret?



    TIA.
    • Political Ambassador
    Offline

    20
    ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hello1234512345)
    Hi All,


    I know i'm in a comfortable position so I don't want to sound snobby/boasting at all.

    I've been offered 2 jobs as company X and company Y. Both are big companies.

    I basically accepted a job offer from company X, they sent me a virtual offer letter online and I accepted. I'm not sure if this is a contract or not. Regardless, I've been offered a job of my dreams at company Y, so I don't want to work for company X right now.


    Can I back out? I don't believe i've signed any legally binding, contractual agreement.


    Can someone give me a rundown of what to expect if I back out of company X, i.e potential blacklist.


    Should I wait out until company Y actually send me a contract to not make a mistake I will regret?



    TIA.
    I’d advise you to wait until the company that you prefer sends you the contract and everything is fine, then you politely decline the other offer.

    No company will force you to work for them, esp when they know that you don't want to do so. You should make sure that you have everything under control before making a move.

    Also look at what you future may look like at both companies. You never know the initial company may actually be better for you. For example, Brexit may make the latter company to leave the UK and shed jobs.

    Good luck.
    Offline

    8
    ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd let the company know as soon as possible that you have found another opportunity. Things like this happen, people's circumstances can change and it's better if they know sooner so that they can find someone else.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    Offline

    20
    ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    They gave you an offer which you accepted - therefore unless the final contract turns out to be materially different from what you’ve agreed to a legally binding contract exists. However they wouldn’t be able to sue for damages as none have been incurred - they’d just be really annoyed. Well technically they may be able to sue for recruitment costs if some were incurred specifically... but fundamentally you are legally bound.
    Offline

    10
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello1234512345)
    Hi All,


    I know i'm in a comfortable position so I don't want to sound snobby/boasting at all.

    I've been offered 2 jobs as company X and company Y. Both are big companies.

    I basically accepted a job offer from company X, they sent me a virtual offer letter online and I accepted. I'm not sure if this is a contract or not. Regardless, I've been offered a job of my dreams at company Y, so I don't want to work for company X right now.


    Can I back out? I don't believe i've signed any legally binding, contractual agreement.


    Can someone give me a rundown of what to expect if I back out of company X, i.e potential blacklist.


    Should I wait out until company Y actually send me a contract to not make a mistake I will regret?



    TIA.
    Wait till you get a contract from Company Y before you decline X.
    You won't get blacklisted, be honest with them and say you had another offer from a firm where you feel their culture/values are a better fit. They might even respect that! But get a contract first!
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    8
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    I’d advise you to wait until the company that you prefer sends you the contract and everything is fine, then you politely decline the other offer.

    No company will force you to work for them, esp when they know that you don't want to do so. You should make sure that you have everything under control before making a move.

    Also look at what you future may look like at both companies. You never know the initial company may actually be better for you. For example, Brexit may make the latter company to leave the UK and shed jobs.

    Good luck.
    Thanks for your reply.

    I think both companies will eventually have the same brexit consequences so that doesn't influence my decision too much. When I interviewed at both companies with directors / my potential line managers, I felt so welcomed at company Y and everything they are doing right now in terms of business aligns with my interests. I accepted company X as I was worried I wasn't going to get anymore interviews/job offers.

    I'm worried about how to approach the call when backing out of the job offer I accepted at company X. I don't know what would be a good reason, since if I say "I preferred the culture at company Y" they may assume that I don't like the culture at company X so they wouldn't accept me in the future since they know I don't like their culture. But I do like their culture to an extent, just not as much as culture Y.

    I was thinking of saying the role itself suits me better, as the offers in the different companies are in different roles
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    8
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OldMan17)
    Wait till you get a contract from Company Y before you decline X.
    You won't get blacklisted, be honest with them and say you had another offer from a firm where you feel their culture/values are a better fit. They might even respect that! But get a contract first!
    I don't know what would be a good reason, since if I say "I preferred the culture at company Y" they may assume that I don't like the culture at company X so they wouldn't accept me in the future since they know I don't like their culture. But I do like their culture to an extent, just not as much as culture Y.

    I was thinking of saying the role itself suits me better, as the offers in the different companies are in different roles

    Is there any situation I should be aware of in terms of contracts? Like if I sign, is there a potential delay period where the contract may potentially be terminated after I have backed out of company X? :/
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    8
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natninja)
    They gave you an offer which you accepted - therefore unless the final contract turns out to be materially different from what you’ve agreed to a legally binding contract exists. However they wouldn’t be able to sue for damages as none have been incurred - they’d just be really annoyed. Well technically they may be able to sue for recruitment costs if some were incurred specifically... but fundamentally you are legally bound.
    I'm pretty sure they won't sue me, but I'm more worried about the bridges I may burn. My HR contact and me have a pretty good relationship, we have talked multiple times so I don't know if their current perception of me will instantly become negative once I backout, if I do that is.
    • Community Assistant
    Offline

    20
    ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by hello1234512345)
    Thanks for your reply.

    I think both companies will eventually have the same brexit consequences so that doesn't influence my decision too much. When I interviewed at both companies with directors / my potential line managers, I felt so welcomed at company Y and everything they are doing right now in terms of business aligns with my interests. I accepted company X as I was worried I wasn't going to get anymore interviews/job offers.

    I'm worried about how to approach the call when backing out of the job offer I accepted at company X. I don't know what would be a good reason, since if I say "I preferred the culture at company Y" they may assume that I don't like the culture at company X so they wouldn't accept me in the future since they know I don't like their culture. But I do like their culture to an extent, just not as much as culture Y.

    I was thinking of saying the role itself suits me better, as the offers in the different companies are in different roles
    A change in personal circumstances mean I am no longer able to accept the role, and am hereby withdrawing my acceptance. I appreciate your understanding in this matter, and hope you can find a suitable candidate to fill the position.

    There shouldn't be any repercussions in withdrawing at such an early stage.
    Offline

    10
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello1234512345)
    Thanks for your reply.

    I think both companies will eventually have the same brexit consequences so that doesn't influence my decision too much. When I interviewed at both companies with directors / my potential line managers, I felt so welcomed at company Y and everything they are doing right now in terms of business aligns with my interests. I accepted company X as I was worried I wasn't going to get anymore interviews/job offers.

    I'm worried about how to approach the call when backing out of the job offer I accepted at company X. I don't know what would be a good reason, since if I say "I preferred the culture at company Y" they may assume that I don't like the culture at company X so they wouldn't accept me in the future since they know I don't like their culture. But I do like their culture to an extent, just not as much as culture Y.

    I was thinking of saying the role itself suits me better, as the offers in the different companies are in different roles
    Nice idea. Be prepared to say how the jobs are different and don't let yourself get sucked in to a Dutch Auction - company X might say they can change their job content etc. Rule #1. Be honest and assertive. You are allowed to change your mind.
    I was HR Director at a US retailer, so I've come across this a lot.
    Good luck with this.
    A.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    8
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tubbz)
    A change in personal circumstances mean I am no longer able to accept the role, and am hereby withdrawing my acceptance. I appreciate your understanding in this matter, and hope you can find a suitable candidate to fill the position.

    There shouldn't be any repercussions in withdrawing at such an early stage.
    If my HR contact probes me for more, is it suitable for me to say I want to try out this role before I commit to the role offered by your company since its more specialised?
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    8
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OldMan17)
    Nice idea. Be prepared to say how the jobs are different and don't let yourself get sucked in to a Dutch Auction - company X might say they can change their job content etc. Rule #1. Be honest and assertive. You are allowed to change your mind.
    I was HR Director at a US retailer, so I've come across this a lot.
    Good luck with this.
    A.
    Yeah I thought that what you suggested will happen, which i'm preventing trying to engage in any form of negotiation.

    Thanks for your help.
    • Community Assistant
    Offline

    20
    ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by hello1234512345)
    If my HR contact probes me for more, is it suitable for me to say I want to try out this role before I commit to the role offered by your company since its more specialised?
    Saying you've been offered a more suitable job else where could could one of two ways, either they offer you a different role, or they withdraw the offer.

    If company Y is who you really want to work for, shouldn't matter too much really, just make sure Y actually make an offer before you retract acceptance.
    • Political Ambassador
    Offline

    20
    ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hello1234512345)
    Thanks for your reply.

    I think both companies will eventually have the same brexit consequences so that doesn't influence my decision too much. When I interviewed at both companies with directors / my potential line managers, I felt so welcomed at company Y and everything they are doing right now in terms of business aligns with my interests. I accepted company X as I was worried I wasn't going to get anymore interviews/job offers.

    I'm worried about how to approach the call when backing out of the job offer I accepted at company X. I don't know what would be a good reason, since if I say "I preferred the culture at company Y" they may assume that I don't like the culture at company X so they wouldn't accept me in the future since they know I don't like their culture. But I do like their culture to an extent, just not as much as culture Y.

    I was thinking of saying the role itself suits me better, as the offers in the different companies are in different roles
    Fair enough.

    I would not mention to the first company that you found somewhere else. As you have written, they may take it the wrong way.

    If it was me, I would send an email and explain to the manager or recruiter that, “based on personal reasons, I respectfully withdraw my candidacy as a new recruit to the company.”

    Most companies would not ask you to explain because these are personal reasons, but some will ask. If the company asks, I would state that you need to go back to your home and are unable to accept a job outside the town due to family reasons.

    This way, it was not their fault that you dont want to come and it was also beyond your control.
    • Community Assistant
    Offline

    19
    ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by OldMan17)
    Wait till you get a contract from Company Y before you decline X.
    You won't get blacklisted, be honest with them and say you had another offer from a firm where you feel their culture/values are a better fit. They might even respect that! But get a contract first!
    Exactly.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    8
    ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your help, I successfully rejected the offer.

    Wasn't as bad as I thought, I know what to do if I ever find myself in this unfortunate situation again.
    Offline

    7
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello1234512345)
    Thanks for all your help, I successfully rejected the offer.

    Wasn't as bad as I thought, I know what to do if I ever find myself in this unfortunate situation again.
    What did you end up saying?
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    8
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Logee)
    What did you end up saying?
    Just said I wanted to try a different role; they were really understanding and didn't pressure me at all, let me make my decision and respected it.
 
 
 
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.