Turn on thread page Beta

Binge drinking is an awful thing that creates awful people. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So why does seem like in many secondary schools (Scottish schools in particular) the binge drinkers etc are top of the pecking order?

You can argue that it's because they come in numbers, but I swear about half of them should have been suspended or even expelled for the other horseshit that they pull.

No wonder my grades plunged from 90+ when I was 14, to Cs and Fs just 2 years later. Secondary schools are focusing 95% of their attention on the troublemakers, and whatever's left on the hyper preps.

ReputationRep:
    People have been drinking and doing drugs...since however long they could.

If it's happening too much, there's *another* set of problems.

Few people get intoxicated all the time purely out of enjoyment.

It's a lot easier to point fingers at the "bad apples" than to provide genuine help. If people aren't willing to accept help, it's likely there's another issue somewhere. Most people want to lead healthy and productive lives. It's a rather intrinsic thing.

edit:

Goodness me, I sound like a hippy.

ReputationRep:
    It's sad that teenagers especially feel the need to drink to be cool or whatever

With regards to school, it often seems that they only care about the one's causing trouble or those who are excelling, all the other students are forgotten

ReputationRep:
    Its ok for professionals and students to do it though as its just letting hair down rather than yob culture/being a tramp etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doubleGs)
    So why does seem like in many secondary schools (Scottish schools in particular) the binge drinkers etc are top of the pecking order?

You can argue that it's because they come in numbers, but I swear about half of them should have been suspended or even expelled for the other horseshit that they pull.

No wonder my grades plunged from 90+ when I was 14, to Cs and Fs just 2 years later. Secondary schools are focusing 95% of their attention on the troublemakers, and whatever's left on the hyper preps.
    I resent that.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Why Scottish schools in particular? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    It's sad that teenagers especially feel the need to drink to be cool or whatever

With regards to school, it often seems that they only care about the one's causing trouble or those who are excelling, all the other students are forgotten
    I absolutely agree. You feel like nothing if you don't play football, music or achieve 5 A's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    Why Scottish schools in particular? :confused:
    Because there tends to be more low income areas in Scotland than anywhere else, with budget cuts bringing council funding to its knees, low numbers of people going to university, and high unemployment rates. Being Scottish myself, this isn't at all an attack on Scottish people themselves.

(Original post by Bio 7)
    I resent that.
    Can you elaborate?
    Why do you resent it?

ReputationRep:
    Can you elaborate?
    Why do you resent it?
    You are picking on Scottish schools so I disagree.

ReputationRep:
    X
    Do you have any basis for saying Scottish schools have a bigger problem with binge drinking than schools in England, Wales and Ireland? I see your point but it seems like this is judged off your personal school experience without any knowledge of how things are in the rest of the UK.

I’m happy to be proved wrong if you have anything to back up what you’ve claimed.

ReputationRep:
    I have found that
    More Scottish 15-year-olds reported being drunk at the age of 13 or younger than those in England and Wales (source: alcohol focus scotland.org)
    Other than that, direct comparisons between Scotland, England and Wales are pretty scarce.
    Positive note: I've noticed that for all countries involved, rates are going down more often than not from previous years.

(Original post by Bio 7)
    You are picking on Scottish schools so I disagree.
    I go to a school in Fife, one of the poorer areas in Scotland. So I think my judgement counts for more than yours. No offence.
    What if I said the new star wars movie was bad, and attempted to back myself up with scores on IMDb?
    Would you disagree just because I'm "picking on the star wars movie franchise"?
    Let me make my point, I'm not here just to go "wah wah wah wah I'm cross at those naughty people".

ReputationRep:
    I binge drink all the time. I got 4A* at A Level, I speak 3 languages, I go to one of the best uni's in the country, I play 2 sports, I read 2 books a week. I'm far from perfect but apparently I'm awful due to my first statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GapYaar)
    I binge drink all the time. I got 4A* at A Level, I speak 3 languages, I go to one of the best uni's in the country, I play 2 sports, I read 2 books a week. I'm far from perfect but apparently I'm awful due to my first statement.
    Maybe if you stopped binge drinking, you'd be even better at sports. Maybe you'd also realise I didn't say all binge drinkers are evil.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if you stopped binge drinking, you'd be even better at sports. Maybe you'd also realise I didn't say all binge drinkers are evil.
    Awful is evil now?

Those are odd assumptions to make about them.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    I'll admit, I'm a little unclear on your argument here. You seem to start a debate about binge drinkers, but then almost immediately bring it back to bad behaviour in schools; yes, there will be some overlap, but that seems more like correlation than causation. Naturally binge drinking can be damaging in its own right, but I'm not sure it equates to troublemaking in schools, and a misuse of resources.

ReputationRep:
    How things change in 15 years. I went to a shithole school and didn't feel anything like left behind or forgotten about, nor privileged or pandered to or anything else. An awful lot of you younguns on here seem to feel pressure in a way that me and most of my mates didn't. Unsure what has changed to cause that.

ReputationRep:
    Scotland is better than some people think

and what do you mean pecking order? You on about society and the workforce, or social groups at your particular school?

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.