The Student Room Group

Should I continue at my current university or transfer? Law LLB Student

Hey all,
I'm a first year law student. I love the subject but my current university isn't very great. Not to mention it's currently ranked in the 80's (60's for the course I'm studying). The lecturers despite being lovely don't provide us with enough information, sometimes a lecturer simply told us what to put in our work rather than teaching us the information so that we would be able to finish the work ourselves (if that makes sense). The material in seminars is so basic that we can't engage properly with it. Most of the lecturers don't seem to want to be there (once a lecturer came in, told us to crack on with something that the majority of the class didn't understand or they needed help with and he ended up not helping for the first 20 minutes so he could have his lunch). Despite the negatives I should say that the facilities are good, campus is beautiful (one of the best in London) and I have at least one lecturer and a few who have left that are/were amazing.

I'm currently looking at reapplying through UCAS Clearing, possibly applying to City, University of London or somewhere else (if anyone has any suggestions for a Law LLB in London then let me know :smile: )
Original post by LawStudent221
Hey all,
I'm a first year law student. I love the subject but my current university isn't very great. Not to mention it's currently ranked in the 80's (60's for the course I'm studying). The lecturers despite being lovely don't provide us with enough information, sometimes a lecturer simply told us what to put in our work rather than teaching us the information so that we would be able to finish the work ourselves (if that makes sense). The material in seminars is so basic that we can't engage properly with it. Most of the lecturers don't seem to want to be there (once a lecturer came in, told us to crack on with something that the majority of the class didn't understand or they needed help with and he ended up not helping for the first 20 minutes so he could have his lunch). Despite the negatives I should say that the facilities are good, campus is beautiful (one of the best in London) and I have at least one lecturer and a few who have left that are/were amazing.

I'm currently looking at reapplying through UCAS Clearing, possibly applying to City, University of London or somewhere else (if anyone has any suggestions for a Law LLB in London then let me know :smile: )

What are your A Level grades?

Applicants usually have to satisfy year 1 entry criteria. Obviously that goes down in clearing.
Original post by Kyber Ninja
What are your A Level grades?

Applicants usually have to satisfy year 1 entry criteria. Obviously that goes down in clearing.

I didn't take A levels but I currently have 128 UCAS points, plus I'm hoping they'll take my current grades from my first year into consideration.

I'm wary about applying through UCAS again as I would have to discuss this with my personal tutor and he probably wouldn't be pleased :s-smilie:

I'm trying to consider my future at this point, I know many students say university rankings don't matter but I would disagree to some extent, especially with future job prospects in the legal field.

I also think a lot of the experiences I've had with my university have had a toll so I'm considering other places to study.

Do you have any suggestions for an LLB in London?
Original post by LawStudent221
I didn't take A levels but I currently have 128 UCAS points, plus I'm hoping they'll take my current grades from my first year into consideration.

I'm wary about applying through UCAS again as I would have to discuss this with my personal tutor and he probably wouldn't be pleased :s-smilie:

I'm trying to consider my future at this point, I know many students say university rankings don't matter but I would disagree to some extent, especially with future job prospects in the legal field.

I also think a lot of the experiences I've had with my university have had a toll so I'm considering other places to study.

Do you have any suggestions for an LLB in London?

Clearing is a UCAS function, so you'll definitely have to use UCAS.

What qualifications did you take? A lot of these unis give offers based on three grades, not UCAS points.

Not any in particular that will be in clearing. Queen Mary usually is and lets people in with ABB. Your grades seem to indicate BBC. You could have a small chance there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending