Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Having trouble with the second part of this question

A light ray enters an equilateral glass prism of refractive index 1.55 at the midpoint of one side of the prism at an angle of 35 degrees.
    Show that the angle of refraction is 22 degrees.

Show that the angle of incidence where the light ray leaves the glass prism is 38 degrees.

Also, a bit unrelated but why does the shape of glass have to be a prism in order to create a spectrum of colours due to refraction? Why wouldn't it work with a glass cube, for example?

ReputationRep:
    I think for the second part you'll need to draw a sketch of the prism & rays so you can work out by geometry at what angle the ray inside the class meets the other surface - then just use Snell's law as before to find the angle at which it emerges.

For the cube thing, since the sides of a cube are parallel, the ray refracts in one direction on enetering but in the opposite direction on leaving. So, although the colours will be dispersed inside (maybe not enough to see) they will come back together as the ray leaves the cube.

Using a prism, the light is refracted as it enters the prism then refracted further as it leaves the prism so rather than the dispersion being cancelled or undone by this second refraction, it is increased.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phys981)
    I think for the second part you'll need to draw a sketch of the prism & rays so you can work out by geometry at what angle the ray inside the class meets the other surface - then just use Snell's law as before to find the angle at which it emerges.

For the cube thing, since the sides of a cube are parallel, the ray refracts in one direction on enetering but in the opposite direction on leaving. So, although the colours will be dispersed inside (maybe not enough to see) they will come back together as the ray leaves the cube.

Using a prism, the light is refracted as it enters the prism then refracted further as it leaves the prism so rather than the dispersion being cancelled or undone by this second refraction, it is increased.
    I couldn't get the answer to the first but thank you for the explanation of the prism!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G.Y)
    I couldn't get the answer to the first but thank you for the explanation of the prism!
    See if this helps with the angles, it's impossible to describe in words.

For some reason I can't attach it so try here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vLj...ew?usp=sharing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phys981)
    See if this helps with the angles, it's impossible to describe in words.

For some reason I can't attach it so try here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vLj...ew?usp=sharing
    Oh, thank youuu

It appears I can't give you rep as I've already done so recently but much appreciated

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.