Turn on thread page Beta

What are your biggest uni money worries? watch

ReputationRep:
    My biggest (needlessly) worry for uni finance is paying accommodation. I can afford it with student finance, it just seems the landlord always wants an instalment a week or more before SF is sent into my bank account.

Would be nice if he could wait until it's paid but he gets annoyed when we write him cheques rather than paying in cash...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    :lol:

How much do you spend? :shock:
    £25 - £50 but I know at university you have bills to pay etc so it's probably not wise to waste that kind of money.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Putting down your house deposit in first year catches a lot of people out. Especially as it's often done at the end of term when you've already paid your termly rent for halls and money is running out.

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried that my parents won't really understand the cost of living. My family is pretty well off so they spend without thinking too hard about it, and I don't think they really understand how much it's going to cost. I won't have much of a maintenance loan and they've said they'll cover the difference, but I know that if their support ends up falling short I won't have anything to fall back on.

ReputationRep:
    Running out of it is the chief worry. Not been a problem yet 'cause my finances are ****ed but in a good way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Moving to university is a huge change in a lot of ways, as well as being one that comes with a lot more responsibilities. One of those is, generally, being in charge of more money, and more of your own finances.

With things like paying for your own accommodation, budgeting for your won food, and trying to handle unexpected expenses, it's understandable that money is one thing a lot of people worry about before going to university, despite the freedom it also offers.

But what are your biggest money worries at university, or for when you get there? And how do you plan to handle them?
    My biggest worry is being able to have enough money for leisure after all bills etc have been paid. And also will be working in another town so travel costs. I could transfer to a nearer shop, but the workers there are.... mmhhhhh not my cup of tea... Hoping my flatmates are nice.

I'm most worried about time management tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0lut0)
    £25 - £50 but I know at university you have bills to pay etc so it's probably not wise to waste that kind of money.
    I don't know what designer clothes you're buying for a price as low as that.

ReputationRep:
    Rent :lol:
    living in halls works out cheaper than living in private accomodation here
    £ 7500 goes into rent :woo:
    left with £900 for the rest of the year :yep: btw this is with a shared accomodation
    summer job and part time job is needed so I can survive next year

ReputationRep:
    Deposit, rent, and day to day living cost. Didn't know how expensive life was until Uni. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I'm so worried that I'll be extremely broke, as a foreigner with no rights to work in the U.K. whatsoever.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'm fairly certain if you're a on a Tier 4 study visa you can work up to 20 hours a week. I've been looking into it as I'll be on exchange from australia studying in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Moving to university is a huge change in a lot of ways, as well as being one that comes with a lot more responsibilities. One of those is, generally, being in charge of more money, and more of your own finances.

With things like paying for your own accommodation, budgeting for your won food, and trying to handle unexpected expenses, it's understandable that money is one thing a lot of people worry about before going to university, despite the freedom it also offers.

But what are your biggest money worries at university, or for when you get there? And how do you plan to handle them?
    It's funny, the small stuff that don't really matter and I don't need, I don't mind spending on. But the cheap stuff I DO need, I'm very cautious and hate spending on it haha xD

At the moment my biggest worry is finance for next year. This year got a good loan but next year might not get as much, a bit worried about that.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.