Have your say: 12 things everyone can learn from A* students

Watch
Fox Corner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Here's where you can post a comment about our 12 things everyone can learn from A* students article.

Read the full 12 things everyone can learn from A* students article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.

Prefect1992
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Oh yeah, like we're meant to learn from them. the entire system is geared up for passing exams.

This article should just be titled "12 things that schools encourage" honestly it's so generic.
_HS
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
lol I don't do any of these
ohdahnnyboi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
rlly useful stuff - the thing about not abandoning ur life tho, my parents dont get it like i wasn't allowed into town with my friend today because they said i have to spend all my time revising. like it's still christmas and she's still my friend and we need to swap presents and being stuck in the house all day sucks i honestly dont understand them, studying and being with friednds is actually really helpful
Dumby
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
This is very helpful and encouraging as I stress a lot over exams, however I procrastinate a lot too! I set goals to do my best and it’s fine if I’m not perfect all the time but I’ll probably not even end up using these!
ANO-NI-MUS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Prefect1992)
Oh yeah, like we're meant to learn from them. the entire system is geared up for passing exams.

This article should just be titled "12 things that schools encourage" honestly it's so generic.
I agree with your second second, the article's kinda pointless.
But as for your first statement, there's not much that can be done. The world is becoming competitive. If British students wanna give the Asian kids a competition, they need to suck it up. We only do 3 A levels here. When I stayed in Seoul (my dad's an expat), each of the Korean kids did 5-6 A level subjects (and if you know Asians, you'd know their obsession with STEM) and among the 30 or so Korean kids in my year, there were exactly 6 who did not get ateast 2 A* Not a single one got below a B. There's a reason why Chinese, Indians, Koreans and Japanese (especially Indians and Chinese) immigrants are so successful.
Up until 5 years ago, British kids were seriously lacking behind. The situation has improved now though.
Last edited by ANO-NI-MUS; 10 months ago
Prefect1992
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ANO-NI-MUS)
I agree with your second second, the article's kinda pointless.
But as for your first statement, there's not much that can be done. The world is becoming competitive. If British students wanna give the Asian kids a competition, they need to suck it up. We only do 3 A levels here. When I stayed in Seoul (my dad's an expat), each of the Korean kids did 5-6 A level subjects (and if you know Asians, you'd know their obsession with STEM) and among the 30 or so Korean kids in my year, there were exactly 6 who did not get ateast 2 A* Not a single one got below a B. There's a reason why Chinese, Indians, Koreans and Japanese (especially Indians and Chinese) immigrants are so successful.
Up until 5 years ago, British kids were seriously lacking behind. The situation has improved now though.
I understand that the world is becoming more competitive, but is it a good thing? I think that people fail to realise that exams (and standardised testing in all forms) is not necessarily a true indicator of competence or indeed subject knowledge. Teaching to the test rather than teaching for mastery has become commonplace in most education systems.... as evidenced by the taught curriculum in many schools. Besides many of these exams do not test key competencies that are required in many industries! Essentially this makes (by my way of thinking) exam grades nothing more than figures..... Some of the most competent, passionate and often the most knowledgeable people i have ever met were not high achievers.

There's a reason why Chinese, Indians, Koreans and Japanese (especially Indians and Chinese) immigrants are so successful.

Define "successful" This is a generalisation given how culturally subjective the concept of "success" is....

Sorry if it sounds like i'm ranting but to sum it up tldr: grades aren't that important
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (193)
33.22%
Receiving them online / by email (291)
50.09%
I still don't know (97)
16.7%

Watched Threads