Turn on thread page Beta

when will I know I got accepted for medicine? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As an international student, I am deciding whether I should take a gap year and apply for medicine UK (I've missed the deadline for 2018 intake). that's what I really want to do but im worried because i know how competitive it is and I cannot predict what I will get in the UKCAT, and if I will be able to actually get in, is AAAA competitive for an international student? Okay so if I apply in the beginning of september, with my actual results and everything ready, when will I know if I have been accepted or not? I have the choice of going to a local university this september but I would only resort to that when going to UK is not possible, because I would like to do an intercalated degree in biomedical engineering, which is not offered in the local university. any help would be soooo much appreciated.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah99630)
    As an international student, I am deciding whether I should take a gap year and apply for medicine UK (I've missed the deadline for 2018 intake). that's what I really want to do but im worried because i know how competitive it is and I cannot predict what I will get in the UKCAT, and if I will be able to actually get in, is AAAA competitive for an international student? Okay so if I apply in the beginning of september, with my actual results and everything ready, when will I know if I have been accepted or not? I have the choice of going to a local university this september but I would only resort to that when going to UK is not possible, because I would like to do an intercalated degree in biomedical engineering, which is not offered in the local university. any help would be soooo much appreciated.
    If you mean AAAA at A Level, not particularly, but it should suffice.

You send applications via UCAS to 4 med schools starting from Sept and ending on Oct 15. You then wait throughout 2018 and 2019 to see if you get interviewed and given a place. So you'll find out by May at the latest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    If you mean AAAA at A Level, not particularly, but it should suffice.

You send applications via UCAS to 4 med schools starting from Sept and ending on Oct 15. You then wait throughout 2018 and 2019 to see if you get interviewed and given a place. So you'll find out by May at the latest
    latest!! May!! OMG. I will have already spent almost a year in the university which I would have joined. Idk if I should just join and apply simultaneously or just apply and take a gap year (which isn't even guaranteed ) I'm hoping for 4A* though, but then again, it's A levels and I can't really say)My results wil be out in around 17th August then maybe THEN I can know if I can take a gap year or not? (depending on what I get, even though im sure 4A* is like bare minimum for international medicine) *sigh*
    If I do the UKCAT around end of July, when will I get the results? Because also depending on what I score there, will show me whether I stand a good chance or not, hence whether I need a backup plan or not.

ReputationRep:
    latest!! May!! OMG. I will have already spent almost a year in the university which I would have joined. Idk if I should just join and apply simultaneously or just apply and take a gap year (which isn't even guaranteed ) I'm hoping for 4A* though, but then again, it's A levels and I can't really say)My results wil be out in around 17th August then maybe THEN I can know if I can take a gap year or not? (depending on what I get, even though im sure 4A* is like bare minimum for international medicine) *sigh*
    If I do the UKCAT around end of July, when will I get the results? Because also depending on what I score there, will show me whether I stand a good chance or not, hence whether I need a backup plan or not.
    UKCAT results are received instantly on a computer screen

ReputationRep:
    UKCAT results are received instantly on a computer screen
    okay. Thank you SO SO much for your help. I reallyyy appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    okay. Thank you SO SO much for your help. I reallyyy appreciate it!
    No worries

ReputationRep:
    No worries
    sorryyyy last question, how do medical schools conduct interviews for international students? ( do I have to go all the way to UK) and does getting called for an interview most likely mean you're already qcccepted for a uni like QMUL?

ReputationRep:
    sorryyyy last question, how do medical schools conduct interviews for international students? ( do I have to go all the way to UK) and does getting called for an interview most likely mean you're already qcccepted for a uni like QMUL?
    Yes, you will have to go to the UK.

The post interview offer rate is roughly 50% for most med schools. So you have a 50% chance of being accepted after interview basically.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.