Turn on thread page Beta

Migraine - What triggers your migraine ? What helps you stop/prevent a migraine? watch

ReputationRep:
    There was a question about migraines recently, so I think it'd be beneficial for those who suffer from migraine and want to prevent and treat it to get some more knowledge.
    1. Please note that all the info here based on personal experience and is not a medical advice.
    2. Also please note that everyone is different in that matter and a method that help one may be a trigger for others.

Come on... share your experience.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Mine are too much light, too much noise, not eating or drinking enough, cream cheese (only if made with cows milk, despite not being lactose intolerant) and my periods.

They're expensive; (but oh so worth it) but you can buy hats from a company called Tilley with a UV filter built in. Whilst they don't cure the problem, they help so much.

ReputationRep:
    My migraines started when I was very young (I can't remember exactly) and I inherited them from my mother.

Triggers:
    Fluorescent lights, my eyesight (one long-sighted, one short-sighted), stress

Preventions:
    Going out walking frequently (excercise), glasses, tinted lenses on said glasses, to help block fluorescent lights.

Stopping:
    Tablets (Sumatriptan, codeine and/or paracetamol), sleep

ReputationRep:
    I started having migraines when I was 14. I have aura migraines with transient aphasia. They start with a sensation that I'm not quite there (like if I look down at my hands, it's as if they don't belong to me), then I lose feeling and control of my limbs, I lose my peripheral vision and can't speak, read, write or think in words (you know when you think in your own head and it's like talking? I can't do that, it's very strange) and my concept of time gets weird. The best way I can describe it is feeling like I'm trapped and only semi conscious. I get a banging headache for up to 5 days after the attack (which usually lasts about an hour) and I'm very sensitive to light, sound and smells for a few days afterwards.

My triggers (the ones we've worked out so far anyway) are chocolate (sadly), stress, cold environments and fluorescent lighting.

I've been given varying things to prevent or relieve my migraines but so far nothing has worked. I usually just take heavy duty painkillers that make me sleep! I relieve the after effects by spending as much time as I can in a dark quiet room for a few days

ReputationRep:
    My migraines have a genetic component, they don't have any effects beyond a very strong pulsating headache on the forehead.

They are caused by low atmospheric pressure (always when the wind comes from the South), wearing contact lenses and a deficiency of Diamine Oxidase (DAO) which causes headaches after eating larger amounts of legumes.

The fix is often ibuprofen and sleep/closing eyes

ReputationRep:
    I started getting migraines at about 8-9. Mostly just strong headaches when one side hurts more. In my teen years I developed more serious symptoms.
    It's inherited from both sides.

Triggers :
    1. Weather change - when weather changes suddenly I sometimes get migraines, mostly tiredness and headache with light and sound sensitivity, sometimes with blurry vision.
    2. Not drinking enough or drinking too much - maybe I am the only person who develops this from drinking too much water. Mostly a simple dizziness but sometimes even headache.
    3. Stress - worst symptoms with nausea, blurry vision, sometimes even fleshes of light.
    4. Eyesight - usually just headache when one side is hurting more, only ones it got to the point of nausea.... short after that I started wearing glasses for school and reading.... ( I am shortsighted with astigmatism and eye fatigue issues).
    5. Too much loud noise - discovered it only recently after being in a disco party....
    6. Not sleeping well....
    7. contraceptives - (pills)

What helps in preventing a migraine
    1. Eating well - get much less migraines stopped eating diary and meat.
    2. Sleeping well
    3. Wearing glasses when needed (still not doing it as much as I should.... right now 25cm from the screen).
    4. relaxation

What helps to stop a migraine or at least make it easier to cope
    1. Relaxation / exercises - I find it better to relax or meditate/yoga when I am about to have a stress migraine, for other triggers (apart from eyesight maybe) exercises help.
    2. wearing glasses - no matter what is the cause, glasses help me see better and focus better.
    3. Coffee - helps me when the migraine is weather related... I also have low blood pressure naturally, so it helps.
    4. Being in a dark and quiet place. Another reason why I think I should start wearing sunglasses again.
    5. Painkillers - only when I can't handle the pain in my head....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PollyParrot23)
    I started having migraines when I was 14. I have aura migraines with transient aphasia. They start with a sensation that I'm not quite there (like if I look down at my hands, it's as if they don't belong to me), then I lose feeling and control of my limbs, I lose my peripheral vision and can't speak, read, write or think in words (you know when you think in your own head and it's like talking? I can't do that, it's very strange) and my concept of time gets weird. The best way I can describe it is feeling like I'm trapped and only semi conscious. I get a banging headache for up to 5 days after the attack (which usually lasts about an hour) and I'm very sensitive to light, sound and smells for a few days afterwards.

My triggers (the ones we've worked out so far anyway) are chocolate (sadly), stress, cold environments and fluorescent lighting.

I've been given varying things to prevent or relieve my migraines but so far nothing has worked. I usually just take heavy duty painkillers that make me sleep! I relieve the after effects by spending as much time as I can in a dark quiet room for a few days
    It might sound strange, but did you talk to your neurologist about epilepsy medication? It sounds like a migraine that shares symptoms with epilepsy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FerretPun)
    My migraines started when I was very young (I can't remember exactly) and I inherited them from my mother.

Triggers:
    Fluorescent lights, my eyesight (one long-sighted, one short-sighted), stress

Preventions:
    Going out walking frequently (excercise), glasses, tinted lenses on said glasses, to help block fluorescent lights.

Stopping:
    Tablets (Sumatriptan, codeine and/or paracetamol), sleep
    Anisometropia is a common cause for migraines cased by eyesight. Have you tried contacts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kathy89)
    It might sound strange, but did you talk to your neurologist about epilepsy medication? It sounds like a migraine that shares symptoms with epilepsy.
    I've never seen a neurologist to be honest. I was taken to hospital when I had my first migraine because they look like I'm having a stroke but I recover from them (at least in terms of the language and movement issues) in under a day so I just got told it was migraines, got given some Migraleve, sent home and that was that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PollyParrot23)
    I've never seen a neurologist to be honest. I was taken to hospital when I had my first migraine because they look like I'm having a stroke but I recover from them (at least in terms of the language and movement issues) in under a day so I just got told it was migraines, got given some Migraleve, sent home and that was that!
    Migraleve is what I was given in the army... didn't help me much at all

You should see a neurologist. They might find a good solution.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I used to always have migraines triggered by chocolate so I stopped eating it for 2 years and then slowly started introducing it back. now i'm fine with chocolate apart from Nutella which triggers my migraines really badly unfortunately

When it suddenly becomes very warm and sunny outside or if a thunderstorm is coming then it triggers a migraine

Stress always triggers my migraines but usually after the stressful situation is over? For example after an exam.

Overall my migraines have largely improved since I was 10 years old.

ReputationRep:
    Triggers:
    • coffee and alcohol
    • weather change
    • not enough sleep
    • not enough water
    • sugar and gluten
    • wearing glasses, hair bands, bobby pins etc

What helps:
    • anything with codeine in it, loads
    • sleeping and drinking well that day
    • yoga and pilates

Well, it doesn’t go away but is… „muted”.

ReputationRep:
    Sleeping in late seems to be a trigger for me. :confused: For the past few months every single weekend I've woken up with one, which ruins the rest of my weekend - 9-5 during the week getting up at 7 I'm fine.

I find coffee helps a lot, something to do with either constricting or relaxing blood vessels (I always forget which).

I’ve been having them since seven, inherited them from my mother. As of now I’m fifteen and have gotten to the stage where my entire life has transformed into one huge migraine. I’ve tried finding out the trigger for them but at this minute I still haven’t found it. Earlier on when I was younger paracetamol and sleep helped them. Now I’ve been put on daily medication, propranolol which is meant to slow the blood flow to my brain which may apparently help.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.