Turn on thread page Beta

Next steps... anyone in the same boat? watch

ReputationRep:
    Been doing apprenticeships for a year.

Been on a low wage - averaging £4 an hour.

In a sales one at the minute which is the one I wanted - apprenticeship is finishing soon so I probably will be offered a full time job (not a clue what to expect for salary).

I've always preferred doing my own thing, always put my own stuff in front of revising and whatever. I used to be an eBay trader and was fairly decent at it - made a fair bit of money.

I think if I put my mind to it I can easily make more than £4 an hour. I think I would actually prefer it too (I know that I do). Is it going to be the right decision though? The only thing is when I had a go at it full time last time after being released from another apprenticeship I ended up not putting 100% into it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Joshyouare)

In a sales one at the minute which is the one I wanted - apprenticeship is finishing soon so I probably will be offered a full time job (not a clue what to expect for salary).

I've always preferred doing my own thing, always put my own stuff in front of revising and whatever. I used to be an eBay trader and was fairly decent at it - made a fair bit of money.

I think if I put my mind to it I can easily make more than £4 an hour. I think I would actually prefer it too (I know that I do). Is it going to be the right decision though? The only thing is when I had a go at it full time last time after being released from another apprenticeship I ended up not putting 100% into it.
    Could you start up with the eBay trading part-time again alongside your work, and see if you think you can commit to it long-term, and if you're giving it the effort it would need to do it full-time?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I've moved this to the apprenticeships forum

Do you like where you currently work and have you asked them what happens next? What qualification will you finish your apprenticeship with?

When you finish your apprenticeship you should in theory have your wage increased. Your current pay per hour will have been lower to take into account study time/ cost.

(Original post by Joshyouare)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    I've moved this to the apprenticeships forum

Do you like where you currently work and have you asked them what happens next? What qualification will you finish your apprenticeship with?

When you finish your apprenticeship you should in theory have your wage increased. Your current pay per hour will have been lower to take into account study time/ cost.
    Hi, thanks for moving it to the right place.

Yeah my wage would increase and indeed that is partly the reason for low pay. It's a Level 3 Diploma I think (I can do that seperate to the actual workplace anyway).

And do I like it? Yeah for the most part. But I just find myself doing nothing all day and I don't really like working 9-5.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.