The Student Room Group

Further maths ?

Im am about start as level but i am confused, what is the difference in further mats and maths here and how should i opt them

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Venom753
Im am about start as level but i am confused, what is the difference in further mats and maths here and how should i opt them

If you take Further Maths it's an extra qualification alongside Maths. It basically extends your maths knowledge and ability.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
To be clear, it's an extra A-level so if you are doing Maths and Further Maths that's 2 full A-levels.

What are your other A-level subjects? And keep in mind no UK university requires more than 3 subjects for any course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Doonesbury
To be clear, it's an extra A-level so if you are doing Maths and Further Maths that's 2 full A-levels.

thodi maa di lun jinni v janta dekh di aa

My other subjects are gonna be maths english buisness physics bio computer science
Reply 4
My other subjects are gonna be maths english buisness physics bio computer science

You're planning to take 6 A levels? (Possibly 7 if you include FM)
Reply 5

Far too many... A*A*A is better than AABBCC (plus FM)

Which course are you considering at university?
Reply 6
Original post by JoeeA
You're planning to take 6 A levels? (Possibly 7 if you include FM)

I may remove bio is FM would be Better
Reply 7
Im Going for double major__- Computer science and business
Further maths is maths but much harder. It is like how GCSE maths sets you up for A-level maths. Maths sets you up with general knowledge for further maths.
Reply 9
Can i take maths in AS and then Leave it in A level but take further maths instead
Reply 10
Can i take maths in AS and then Leave it in A level but take further maths instead

No.

And if you are considering CS with Business there's little point studying Further Maths. It's not a required subject at any university for that course and you are already spreading yourself too thinly. Also there's no need to study Business at A-level.

What are your *favourite* and best 3 A-levels?
(edited 6 years ago)

You really need to cut down. You do not need "broad choices" or to be "well-rounded". That applied at GCSE when you get lots of choices.

If I were you, I would pick three from Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Physics and get top grades in all of them. And if you're thinking of any unis, make sure you check those entry requirements.
Reply 12
Ok i cut down subjects to 5 in as level and 4 in a level
++AS==
1.Maths
2.English
3.Physics
4.Computer science
5.Business

++A==

1.Maths
2.Physics
3.Computer science
4.Business
Reply 13
++AS==
1.Maths
2.English
3.Physics
4.Computer science
5.Business

++A==

1.Maths
2.Physics
3.Computer science
4.Business

And ill be able to manage them easily
And ill be able to manage them easily

Haha...
Reply 15
Not quite sure how worthwhile doing it business is.. Even if you want to do business in the future I don't think many really need business a level (correct me on this someone if I'm wrong)
I want to do comp science and I'm doing maths, further maths, physics and computing which are similar subjects. I think further maths puts you at an advantage for computer science at top unis (again, correct me if I'm wrong on this - according to some unis further maths might end up being a requirement for their course in 2019) so it's definitely worth considering.
mate...

no.

how are you even allowed to take over 4??

people doing 4 + an epq find it hard enough - let alone 5 a levels!

the workload is a lot bigger than GCSE.

but if you want to be an idiot and chose 5 courses and get bad grades in them then go ahead
++AS==
1.Maths
2.English
3.Physics
4.Computer science
5.Business

++A==

1.Maths
2.Physics
3.Computer science
4.Business

Just one thing you may want to consider is that this many subjects gives you very few frees so you will have to do most of your work at home which can be an issue if you already do a lot outside of school, another to check will be will you actually be sitting the AS exams at your school, for example at my school we didn’t sit the AS papers for reformed subjects, meaning that people who dropped at the end of year 12 have nothing to show for a year of effort, hence why one of my friends is still stuck with 5 a levels cause she had worked hard so didn’t want to get noting for a years work. If that’s the case you may want to consider leaving english off completely as this is also very different from the rest of your subjects and isn’t really necessary for your future plans.
If you do decide to go for all 5 just remember that if it’s too bad in the first few weeks you can still drop English as four a levels is a much much easier workload and gives you plenty of time throughout the week to do homework and revise.
Reply 18
Actually i study in a hostel, that makes studying for 4 subjects easier and the point is i will leave English in a level and 4 to 5 subjects are compulsory in my school, that is including english
(edited 6 years ago)
If you're good at maths, and willing/able to self-study and work hard/steadily, A-Level maths in a year is fairly straightforward, leaving you ample time to continue with Further Maths in the 2nd year.
FM is a much more highly valued qualification than any standard A-Level in another subject, and will put you well ahead of others who may not have FM A-Level in terms of Kudos.
I agree with other posters: Business Studies A-Level has little/no value. It will also be a distraction to your other courses when essay/coursework deadlines loom.

Your target needs to be A/A* grades in 3 subjects (4, if you decide to go for FM), rather than many different A-Levels, unless you intend to apply to a UNI in the US and would need funding support/bursary, where 5 (or more) top grade A-Levels would be useful.

Quick Reply

Latest