Turn on thread page Beta

How can i get a job without any qualifications? watch

ReputationRep:
    I was in high school until 3 months before my gcse's my parents moved to portugal, i begged them to let me stay with somebody in england so i could finish my gcse's but they didnt let me so i moved to portugal with only 1 gcse that i had gotten in year 10 and i went to high school in portugal for about 2 months but i had to leave because it was too expensive for my parents to buy textbooks (it came to about €1000 just for me and i had 2 other siblings aswell) ive been in portugal for 2 years doing absolutely nothing and i havent been going to school so i have no friends here and now my parents say theyre moving back to england this year which of course im happy about however im 18 so it'll be too late to go to college to repeat my gcse's and i want a job but have no qualifications except the 1 gcse in science which the certificate got lost during travelling. I had all a*/a/b in my mock exams but didnt get to do my real exams. What can i do?

ReputationRep:
    man thats tragic. your parents are real d***heads. im sure theres a college out there that will take you in and help you get some qualifications. plus with the help of the internet, nowadays you can get a lot of free education online. first you need to figure out what you wanna study though
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by earth_lord)
    man thats tragic. your parents are real d***heads. im sure theres a college out there that will take you in and help you get some qualifications. plus with the help of the internet, nowadays you can get a lot of free education online. first you need to figure out what you wanna study though
    I just want to get english and maths gcse so i can get a basic job and i'll look into online education thankyou

ReputationRep:
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I think you will be entitled to do maths and english GCSE at something like evening classe without having to pay anything.

also you are funded at college until you are 19, so you might be able to get onto a course for a year but it depends when you will be 19

ReputationRep:
    Go to your nearest adult educational college. There you can study English and Maths GCSE as little/no cost if you have grades lower then C. My local college does the GCSEs in 1 year instead of 2. They do different subjects, but you may have to pay for the others. They will begin their enrolment from the beginning of Apr/May on wards, so get yourself up to speed in the subjects before then. You may need to sit an assessment to make sure you are of GCSE level, if not do the life skills that prepare for the later exams.

Jobs with no qualifications are really hard to come by, as there is an influx of unskilled labour, so lots of people going for that one job.Try volunteering in your chosen profession to get experience while doing the GCSEs and you MUST GET above a C/4-5 grade to really contend with them.

NB if you are on job seekers allowance, you can only study up to 16 hours a week, they also monitor how much homework you have, and you wont get it if you get a students bursary (advanced student loans don't count so you would get the benefit). My courses are at night class, so it doesn't count.

Your parents were totally irresponsible taking you out of school at such a time and then stopping your education when you were abroad. If you knuckle down now for a few years you can soon catch up and still achieve you dreams. It does mean making your education a priority over your social scene, but there are plenty out there doing the same including on here. You can soon catch up with others, as a lot will take breaks for travelling.

ReputationRep:
    There’s no way around it but to repeat your GCSEs at a college and then take it from there. Sure sucks but keep your head up, it’s never too late.

ReputationRep:
    thats unlucky

how can you parents f*** your life like that.

ReputationRep:
    your parents need parenting lessons

ReputationRep:
    That's a really "cruel" and sad tale and some parenting which surely does not have the best for the child in mind.

Not impossible to recover - never is - but is surely going to take years to catch up. You got my sympathies.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.