Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have an upcoming interview for the studentship in physics. What should I expect from the interview? Will it be something like an oral examination about graduate courses or will it be regarding to my previous/current projects?

If you have any idea, thanks a lot!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Gronberg)
    I have an upcoming interview for the studentship in physics. What should I expect from the interview? Will it be something like an oral examination about graduate courses or will it be regarding to my previous/current projects?

If you have any idea, thanks a lot!
    What degree is it you're going for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la_banane_verte)
    What degree is it you're going for?
    It's for PhD.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Gronberg)
    It's for PhD.
    Ok, I thought so, just wanted to check rather than give you pointless advice! So this comes with a disclaimer that I was not in the School of Physics, and didn't interview at St Andrews, but I did do my PhD here and I have interviewed with other places.

I would suggest being prepared to talk about the following:

• What is the research area you're interested in?
    • Why you want to work with your potential supervisor (if you've agreed on one already), or who you think you'd like to work with in the School.
    • Why do you want to come to St Andrews for the PhD? What do we offer that others don't? Is there a particular supervisor or research group? Do we have a good mix of research areas that you're keen on?
    • How has the work you've done so far prepared you for the PhD? Have you been particularly inspired by something you've encountered at undergrad?
    • What did you work on for your dissertation/projects in your current/previous degrees?
    • If you've applied to a specific project/research group, they might ask you questions about that area to check your knowledge.

In my experience, a lot of interviews for PhDs are about checking you're a good fit for the research group, and also for you to see if the group is a good fit for you. They already know how you perform academically based on your references and transcripts and so on. Try to get across your enthusiasm for research and the topic that you'll be working on, and don't be afraid to ask questions about the group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la_banane_verte)
    Ok, I thought so, just wanted to check rather than give you pointless advice! So this comes with a disclaimer that I was not in the School of Physics, and didn't interview at St Andrews, but I did do my PhD here and I have interviewed with other places.

I would suggest being prepared to talk about the following:

• What is the research area you're interested in?
    • Why you want to work with your potential supervisor (if you've agreed on one already), or who you think you'd like to work with in the School.
    • Why do you want to come to St Andrews for the PhD? What do we offer that others don't? Is there a particular supervisor or research group? Do we have a good mix of research areas that you're keen on?
    • How has the work you've done so far prepared you for the PhD? Have you been particularly inspired by something you've encountered at undergrad?
    • What did you work on for your dissertation/projects in your current/previous degrees?
    • If you've applied to a specific project/research group, they might ask you questions about that area to check your knowledge.

In my experience, a lot of interviews for PhDs are about checking you're a good fit for the research group, and also for you to see if the group is a good fit for you. They already know how you perform academically based on your references and transcripts and so on. Try to get across your enthusiasm for research and the topic that you'll be working on, and don't be afraid to ask questions about the group.

Thank you very very much for the detailed reply! It's such a relief for me!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.