Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm in my final year of nursing and really struggling. I don't feel comfortable with any of the staff at university sadly and my dissertation supervisor is unfortunately not very helpful. I'm trying to complete the first 5000 words which is my literature review. However, I just don't seem to be able to apply my title to the PICO search strategy and it's really putting me at a stop. I feel stupid and I'm really hoping someone might be able to help me.

My currently proposed (and okayed by my diss supervisor) title is:
    'What are the patient experiences of quiet time improving quality of sleep i an intensive care setting?'

No matter what I do, how much I read, I just don't seem to be able to get that huge penny to drop and be able to apply this to a search strategy.

I'm desperate. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks
    P
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by patsysmooter)
    Hello,

I'm in my final year of nursing and really struggling. I don't feel comfortable with any of the staff at university sadly and my dissertation supervisor is unfortunately not very helpful. I'm trying to complete the first 5000 words which is my literature review. However, I just don't seem to be able to apply my title to the PICO search strategy and it's really putting me at a stop. I feel stupid and I'm really hoping someone might be able to help me.

My currently proposed (and okayed by my diss supervisor) title is:
    'What are the patient experiences of quiet time improving quality of sleep i an intensive care setting?'

No matter what I do, how much I read, I just don't seem to be able to get that huge penny to drop and be able to apply this to a search strategy.

I'm desperate. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks
    P
    Honestly, you need to go to the university and get some face to face support, whether that is from a different supervisor or library staff or a support staff member. Your supervisor is expected to supervise, not to hold your hand through your dissertation. It is widely expected that at this stage you will just get on with it.

You have chosen a question where it is going to be very hard to find literature and even harder to find hard data as evidence. There are hundreds of articles on quiet time protocols, however very few focusing specifically on patient experiences. I suspect this is due to the nature of intensive care and the movement of these patients from ward to ward in varying states of wellbeing. 'Patient experience' itself is a very wooly area and you haven't really discussed what you mean by that. Are you looking for patient testimonials? These are incredibly hard to measure and it will be difficult to come to a solid conclusion. A phrasing such as 'what is the impact of implementing Quiet Time protocols on the quality of sleep in intensive care settings' would allow you to look at different types of data.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.