Difference between standing waves and transverse waves

Watch
Kushala Daora
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I still don't understand the difference between them, and I don't get why standing waves transfer no energy; isn't the work done to the surroundings?

Also, what, in terms of phases makes the nodes on a standing waves different to the "points" on a transverse wave?

I'll quote the question and answer in my textbook that confuses me:
"Explain how the variation of amplitude along a string differs from that of a progressive wave.
Answer: When the string forms a standing wave, the amplitude varies from a maximum at the antinodes and zero at the nodes. In a progressive wave all points vibrate at the same amplitude."

In short; I don't get standing waves and how they differ to transverse waves.
phys981
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The nodes are always in the same place on a standing wave. There is zero oscillation therefore zero energy transfer at this point. Rather than the energy being trasferred from place to place, as with a travelling wave, it builds up at the points where the antinodes are.

If you can watch a transverse wave (if it's slow enough) you will see that the positions of minimum and maxmum amplitude change as the wave moves.

Perhaps you are confused by the terminology.

Waves can be either transverse or longitudinal AND they can be either travelling or standing/stationary.

Both transverse and longitudinal waves can produce standing waves.
Kushala Daora
Rep:
?
(Original post by phys981)
The nodes are always in the same place on a standing wave. There is zero oscillation therefore zero energy transfer at this point. Rather than the energy being trasferred from place to place, as with a travelling wave, it builds up at the points where the antinodes are.

If you can watch a transverse wave (if it's slow enough) you will see that the positions of minimum and maxmum amplitude change as the wave moves.

Perhaps you are confused by the terminology.

Waves can be either transverse or longitudinal AND they can be either travelling or standing/stationary.

Both transverse and longitudinal waves can produce standing waves.
So every point on a progressive wave has the SAME amplitude, even though the graph says otherwise? Can you think of the graph as some sort of snapshot?
phys981
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, the graph is a snapshot, either in time or in space.
Kushala Daora
Rep:
?
(Original post by phys981)
yes, the graph is a snapshot, either in time or in space.
thank you thank you thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (83)
14.36%
I'm not sure (26)
4.5%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (181)
31.31%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.08%
I'm not a current university student (276)
47.75%

Watched Threads