The Student Room Group

Midwifery

Hi all, I am a first year student midwife and am currently in a difficult position. I don't know if Midwifery is for me? It is hard for me to grasp this idea as all my life choices were based around this job prospect. I am so fortunate to have been accepted first time into this course which is making me even more anxious. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this and have no idea what to do. I love the theory side of midwifery however the placement side is the problem as I am very shy and am constantly anxious and depressed before attending it. I need all the help I can get.
You seem to enjoy the idea of midwifery, so if I were you I’d stay in the course, because you may not have this opportunity again. I think you should definitely seek advice regarding confidence and anxiety, because you can definitely overcome that. I want to be a doctor but two, three years ago you would have to pay me A LOT to speak to a stranger, now I go into the hospital to volunteer and say hi to every patient I walk past myself, ask how they’re doing etc. For me my volunteering was how I developed confidence and managed to get over the stress of it, I made a few friends there and started from knowing one person, only talking to them, to literally being friends with everyone on the ward. It took me a while and I was uncomfortable at first, but I kept going. What I mean by telling this story is that if you really enjoy midwifery, don’t give up just because you’re shy and get anxious, that’s just a step that you can overcome, just like I did. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by TheMythicalBeast
You seem to enjoy the idea of midwifery, so if I were you I’d stay in the course, because you may not have this opportunity again. I think you should definitely seek advice regarding confidence and anxiety, because you can definitely overcome that. I want to be a doctor but two, three years ago you would have to pay me A LOT to speak to a stranger, now I go into the hospital to volunteer and say hi to every patient I walk past myself, ask how they’re doing etc. For me my volunteering was how I developed confidence and managed to get over the stress of it, I made a few friends there and started from knowing one person, only talking to them, to literally being friends with everyone on the ward. It took me a while and I was uncomfortable at first, but I kept going. What I mean by telling this story is that if you really enjoy midwifery, don’t give up just because you’re shy and get anxious, that’s just a step that you can overcome, just like I did. Good luck :smile:

Thank you so much for this honestly! It is exactly what I needed to hear at this time in my life. I thought my anxiety and confidence issues would have something to do with my concerns so I will definetly be doing all I can to help it. What would your advice be, as I get very upset when thinking about going to my placement. I am working on the Labour ward where it is very hectic and not for me however it is part of my training to HAVE to do this.
Original post by Blue12340
Thank you so much for this honestly! It is exactly what I needed to hear at this time in my life. I thought my anxiety and confidence issues would have something to do with my concerns so I will definetly be doing all I can to help it. What would your advice be, as I get very upset when thinking about going to my placement. I am working on the Labour ward where it is very hectic and not for me however it is part of my training to HAVE to do this.

You’re welcome :smile:

As cliché as it sounds, try to have a positive attitude. It can as little as talking to a stranger when shopping or something. Maybe when you’re paying for food, try to act more confident (aka say thank you and smile at the person, rather than try to escape the situation so you don’t have to speak to anyone), or ask an employee for help when you’re looking for something. It’s honestly little things that make you more confident, it’s like every time you do something like that it gives you a little push saying “you can do it!” 😂 It’s so cliché, but it works!

In your placement maybe make friends with someone who’s doing similar things to you. You don’t have to talk to everyone, just that one person, and them being there will make you more comfortable (it’s like going to the cinema, it’s better with a friend hahah). Try to find a spot where you can take a little break, on my ward we have a pantry and everyone always goes there for a breather, and we all chat away, which is also a great way to make friends! Since your placement is kind of the higher end of being confident, try to sit through it with someone to talk to but in your own time try to talk more to others, you won’t bother them trust me, that’s what I used to think, but just take those little steps to be more confident and open to people. If you’re anxious during your placement, think about how much you like your course, why you like it, then it will encourage you to work hard
Reply 4
Original post by TheMythicalBeast
You’re welcome :smile:

As cliché as it sounds, try to have a positive attitude. It can as little as talking to a stranger when shopping or something. Maybe when you’re paying for food, try to act more confident (aka say thank you and smile at the person, rather than try to escape the situation so you don’t have to speak to anyone), or ask an employee for help when you’re looking for something. It’s honestly little things that make you more confident, it’s like every time you do something like that it gives you a little push saying “you can do it!” 😂 It’s so cliché, but it works!

In your placement maybe make friends with someone who’s doing similar things to you. You don’t have to talk to everyone, just that one person, and them being there will make you more comfortable (it’s like going to the cinema, it’s better with a friend hahah). Try to find a spot where you can take a little break, on my ward we have a pantry and everyone always goes there for a breather, and we all chat away, which is also a great way to make friends! Since your placement is kind of the higher end of being confident, try to sit through it with someone to talk to but in your own time try to talk more to others, you won’t bother them trust me, that’s what I used to think, but just take those little steps to be more confident and open to people. If you’re anxious during your placement, think about how much you like your course, why you like it, then it will encourage you to work hard

Yeah this makes sense, thank you! From now on I'll try to be more confident. It sounds hard but I'll try :smile:
Original post by Blue12340
Yeah this makes sense, thank you! From now on I'll try to be more confident. It sounds hard but I'll try :smile:

It is hard but even little steps forward make you feel much better, you’ll be fine trust me! Fake it till you make it as they say hahah

Quick Reply

Latest