The Student Room Group

Not enjoying computer science. Need advice

Hi guys
I am currently studying computer Science at university and contemplating whether this course is for me. Its mainly to do with programming, it doesnt really interest me which makes it difficult . I still want to get into the IT industry but i dont know what course i could do. My uni offers a Business Information technology course but i dont know if thats a good degree that will allow me to land a good job.

Advice would be highly appreciated.
(edited 6 years ago)
Universities usually have careers advisors or course advisors, stuff like that. If yours doesn’t, you could always talk to your tutor or head of department about switching the course which suits you better. They could advise you on what will be best for what you’d like to do, and they’ll know best what the courses consist of. I’d definitely talk to them :smile:
Original post by Sonic937
Hi guys
I am currently studying computer Science at university and contemplating whether this course is for me. Its mainly to do with programming, it doesnt really interest me which makes it difficult . I still want to get into the IT industry but i dont know what course i could do. My uni offers a Business Information technology course but i dont know if thats a good degree that will allow me to land a good job.

Advice would be highly appreciated.

There are lots of good jobs in tech that require little to no programming. First thing is what parts of CS do you enjoy?
Original post by jestersnow
There are lots of good jobs in tech that require little to no programming. First thing is what parts of CS do you enjoy?

Apart from programming, other modules that i study are web development and hci, database systems, computer system internals and linux, and professional development. I dont mind the other modules, but I just dont see the point in doing CS if i dont like programming, it will be really difficult for me to do good and actually graduate in the course.
Reply 4
Apart from programming, other modules that i study are web development and hci, database systems, computer system internals and linux, and professional development. I dont mind the other modules, but I just dont see the point in doing CS if i dont like programming, it will be really difficult for me to do good and actually graduate in the course.

Programming is a part of it but I would try talking to someone who's in their final year about how much programming is actually needed for a good grade.

The course that I'm doing, even modules like object oriented programming can have 70% of the grade being exam which has 0 programming.

Computer science degree can lead to a lot more different jobs than just ones to do with programming. So those are worth researching to see what interests you.

If nothing that requires computer science degree specifically interests you, then talk to a careers adviser about it and see if a different degree would be better for you.

Have you considered a Cyber Security degree? Is that an option? It has little coding (it's more code analysis) but draws on many of the areas you enjoy more (like networking and Linux). There are a ton of jobs in that area right now.
Original post by jestersnow
Have you considered a Cyber Security degree? Is that an option? It has little coding (it's more code analysis) but draws on many of the areas you enjoy
more (like networking and Linux). There are a ton of jobs in that area right now.

My uni offers a computer science course with cybersecurity. I think its best if speak to my programme leader and discuss my options.

What course are you doing, and do you enjoy it?
Original post by Devify
Programming is a part of it but I would try talking to someone who's in their final year about how much programming is actually needed for a good grade.

The course that I'm doing, even modules like object oriented programming can have 70% of the grade being exam which has 0 programming.
One thing I think is worth mentioning about this - while it's true that a lot of programming courses have non-programming exams, those exams are essentially designed to test understanding and knowledge of programming. So the real problem the OP might have would be that the only way to really effectively learn the exam would be to spend a lot of time actually programming and tackling programming problems.
My uni offers a computer science course with cybersecurity. I think its best if speak to my programme leader and discuss my options.

What course are you doing, and do you enjoy it?

Thankfully I've been graduated a while! Undergrad in CS, postgrad in Computation Intelligence and another one in Cyber Security.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending