The Student Room Group

Languages

Hi..

My daughter was given the option at year 9 to study either German or French.. Having work extensively abroad in eastern europe i encouraged her to take German.

I took this also as a commitment from the school to teach her german.

She understand my reasoning and selected German above french even tough initially she would have selected french.

Now due to lack of interest going into year 10 the school have decided not to teach GCSE german for her year due to only 3 pupils selecting it as an option.

Can i do anything about this ? Surely them offering the choice between french and german at year 9 means they cant remove the option at year 10 ?

Any help or advise is appreciated

Regards

Brad
Original post by 191bc
Hi..

My daughter was given the option at year 9 to study either German or French.. Having work extensively abroad in eastern europe i encouraged her to take German.

I took this also as a commitment from the school to teach her german.

She understand my reasoning and selected German above french even tough initially she would have selected french.

Now due to lack of interest going into year 10 the school have decided not to teach GCSE german for her year due to only 3 pupils selecting it as an option.

Can i do anything about this ? Surely them offering the choice between french and german at year 9 means they cant remove the option at year 10 ?

Any help or advise is appreciated

Regards

Brad

German would have been my choice, but it is harder an getting a good grade is also important.

I think the three parents should make a complaint on the internal complaint procedure , then up to the board of governors if need be.

If you are still unhappy then you can
https://www.gov.uk/complain-about-school/state-schools

A in French would be better than B in German an at GCSE its not going to matter. The only time I would say its important is if they wanted to study it at degree level..

I expect the school can change due to shortage of pupils in year 9 as GCSE hasnt started. Be different if it was in year 10 i.e halfway through. Budget wise it probably makes no sense.

Quick Reply

Latest