Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    would you call nthrt(x)=x^1/n an equation or identity? i ask because i guess its only true if n is a positive integer greater than 1 and x is a real number, so technically would this be an equation?

thanks
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by 111davey111)
    would you call nthrt(x)=x^1/n an equation or identity? i ask because i guess its only true if n is a positive integer greater than 1 and x is a real number, so technically would this be an equation?

thanks
    I presume nthrt means n'th root, as such you are defining a function, and that is a "formula", rather than an equation or identity.

The domain is more restrictive than you've put - what's (-1)^{1/2} for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    I presume nthrt means n'th root, as such you are defining a function, and that is a "formula", rather than an equation or identity.

The domain is more restrictive than you've put - what's (-1)^{1/2} for example.
    I?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    I?
    If you're going to start including complex numbers, then what's the cube root of 1? There are 3 of them!

BUT, this is beside the point as regards your original question.

ReputationRep:
    If you're going to start including complex numbers, then what's the cube root of 1? There are 3 of them!

BUT, this is beside the point as regards your original question.
    Yeah true, i don't really get how its a formula.so can you have an identity A=B where the functions have restricted domains. so if you replace n with a 2 is that an identity then?

Thanks
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Yeah true, i don't really get how its a formula.so can you have an identity A=B where the functions have restricted domains. so if you replace n with a 2 is that an identity then?

Thanks
    If you could tell me what your definition of nthrt(x) is?

It looks to me that you are defining it there, so you plug in x (and n) and get out the nth root of x, so it's a formula.

If nthrt(x) is defined in some other way, then you might have an identity, something that is true for all x, within your given domain.

ReputationRep:
    If you could tell me what your definition of nthrt(x) is?

It looks to me that you are defining it there, so you plug in x (and n) and get out the nth root of x, so it's a formula.

If nthrt(x) is defined in some other way, then you might have an identity, something that is true for all x, within your given domain.
    nthrt(x) is meant to be radical notation so its just a different way to write it as opposed to the exponent form on the right.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    nthrt(x) is meant to be radical notation so its just a different way to write it as opposed to the exponent form on the right.
    It's a different way of writing the same thing - then it's an identity.

It's as much of a question as asking whether the relation between \sin^2(x) and [\sin(x)]^2 is an identity or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    It's a different way of writing the same thing - then it's an identity.

It's as much of a question as asking whether the relation between \sin^2(x) and [\sin(x)]^2 is an identity or not.
    but the domain changes as you change n doesn't it, so is it only an identity when n is given a number?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    but the domain changes as you change n doesn't it, so is it only an identity when n is given a number?
    Yes the domain depends on n but the fact is that this domain will be equivalent for both sides of the relation, and their values will be equivalent as well throughout the domain. This is what an identity is.

ReputationRep:
    Yes the domain depends on n but the fact is that this domain will be equivalent for both sides of the relation, and their values will be equivalent as well throughout the domain. This is what an identity is.
    thanks, so its an identity for n positive integer greater than 1, and it doesn't matter that all x won't give an output due to the restricted domains for even n it only matters for the actual domain of x.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    thanks, so its an identity for n positive integer greater than 1, and it doesn't matter that all x won't give an output due to the restricted domains for even n it only matters for the actual domain of x.
    The relation is always an identity on whatever you choose your n to be. If n \in \mathbb{N} then the domain will be x \geq 0 for even n, and x \in \mathbb{R} for odd n.

No need to be thinking about this too much.

ReputationRep:
    The relation is always an identity on whatever you choose your n to be. If n \in \mathbb{N} then the domain will be x \geq 0 for even n, and x \in \mathbb{R} for odd n.

No need to be thinking about this too much.
    Thanks
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Thanks
    A bit of LaTex would have avoided most of these posts:

\sqrt[n]{x}\equiv x^{1/n}

ReputationRep:
    A bit of LaTex would have avoided most of these posts:

\sqrt[n]{x}\equiv x^{1/n}
    so they would define the same function for all n but 0?

Thanks
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    so they would define the same function for all n but 0?

Thanks
    RDKGames has already answered this: \mathbb{N}=\{1,2,3,...\}

ReputationRep:
    RDKGames has already answered this: \mathbb{N}=\{1,2,3,...\}
    how come it works for all n on my calculator though? (apart from 0)
    thanks
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    how come it works for all n on my calculator though? (apart from 0)
    thanks
    I don't understand what you're getting at. In what way does your calculator differ from what's been said on here?

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand what you're getting at. In what way does your calculator differ from what's been said on here?
    Sorry i didn't understand what you meant by N = (1,2,3) were you saying both sides of the equals only define the same function if n takes these values or will they define the same function for all n but 0
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Sorry i didn't understand what you meant by N = (1,2,3) were you saying both sides of the equals only define the same function if n takes these values or will they define the same function for all n but 0
    N={1,2,3...} is just saying what the set of natural numbers is, which RDKGames refered to in his post, i.e. 1,2,3....

What do you man by "only these values" as compared to "for all n but 0"? How are they different? Are you trying to include fractional and irrational n?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 3, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.