Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is a clitoris basically just a female penis? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The anatomy of it is similar to that of a penis, they can get erect from stimulation, they have a hood which is similar to a foreskin and some even look like a very small penis when they protrude outwards.

Are they basically just an under-developed / female penis?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Sarz33)
    The anatomy of it is similar to that of a penis, they can get erect from stimulation, they have a hood which is similar to a foreskin and some even look like a very small penis when they protrude outwards.

Are they basically just an under-developed / female penis?
    They are similar in the way they act and they are made of mostly the same stuff, but it's not quite just a mini penis that didn't finish growing. Actually, all foetuses start off heading towards "female"- well close enough anyway- (thus men having those pointless nipples that don't give any milk like they're meant to).

https://www.theguardian.com/notesand...,-7531,00.html
    http://factmyth.com/factoids/all-mam...art-as-female/

Not sure if that was your question or if I just layed out some gross knowledge for nothing. But yeah they are pretty similar and at least as far as layman's terms go you could argue they're the m/f equivalents of each other.

You can go ahead and google if you want to know more cos frankly I think it's a bit gross (and complicated) to be sharing here. From what I can tell it mostly comes down to when a foetus (well it's genes) decides what sex it's going to be and how it puts together all it's parts. We're all pretty much made of the same stuff and basic functions- it's just used different ways. It's pretty interesting if you're into the whole how stuff works and where we come from stuff. Unfortunately it's all pretty science-y and that means fancy talk that I don't like.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yep, penises are just over-developed combinations of clitoris and urethra, attached to sealed up labia containing strange 'testes'

ReputationRep:
    They're both made of the same types of cells and tissues.The penis is homologous to the clitoris, the foreskin is homologous to the clitoral hood, and the scrotum is homologous to the labia.

(Original post by Kindred)
    They are similar in the way they act and they are made of mostly the same stuff, but it's not quite just a mini penis that didn't finish growing. Actually, all foetuses start off heading towards "female"- well close enough anyway- (thus men having those pointless nipples that don't give any milk like they're meant to).
    Physiologically, men can lactate. High prolactin will cause milk production in males.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Physiologically, men can lactate. High prolactin will cause milk production in males.
    I was actually thinking when I wrote that that men can actually produce milk in some circumstances. I was hoping nobody would catch me out.
    But on the whole they won't at least so my point still stands.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.