Turn on thread page Beta

Is there a technical term for this psychological or philosophical idea? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been asked to write an essay and many of my arguments rest on the assumption that if we did not have many of the luxuries we had now, e.g. better healthcare, central heating, entertainment, etc our happiness levels would still be the same because we would be accustomed to not having those things as a normality. Like we would accept that people died from very basic infections as normal just like we do today except with cancer etc. I was wondering if anyone knew a technical term for this.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Fairly7Local)
    I've been asked to write an essay and many of my arguments rest on the assumption that if we did not have many of the luxuries we had now, e.g. better healthcare, central heating, entertainment, etc our happiness levels would still be the same because we would be accustomed to not having those things as a normality. Like we would accept that people died from very basic infections as normal just like we do today except with cancer etc. I was wondering if anyone knew a technical term for this.
    Taking things for granted?:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I can't think of any off the top of my head for that specifically, but it's kind of in a similar vein to cultural relativism I suppose :dontknow:

Would be easier to just try and avoid giving it a technical name, if you can.

ReputationRep:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedonic_treadmill
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=se...y+of+happiness

ReputationRep:
    Both exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.