Turn on thread page Beta

Im currently in my third year. I’ve had depression for a long time, but it was diagnosed in my first year of uni as I had to repeat the year.
    I’ve been on sertraline 100mg for about a year now, it worked at first but i began to feel down again around september time.

I always struggle with getting out of bed in the morning and completing every day tasks; I’m super slow at everything and have no sense of time or space, and I’m always always late to things. I’ve had bad punctuality since I was a kid; I was known as the student who always had to sign into school at the general office as i always missed registration.

I have a family member who was recently diagnosed with dyspraxia, and she has encouraged me to seek assessment for this, as my bad punctuality and slowness is getting to the point that the university are saying it’s a professionalism issue. I’m at risk of having to repeat the year again and I really really don’t want to.

I have looked at adult dyspraxia checklists and quizzes online, and there are some things that I relate to a lot, and others I don’t have at all; I’m quite musical and never struggled to play instruments, but I’m also horrifically clumsy and find brusies all over my legs from walking into things. I always bang my head and drop / spill things and people laugh at me for being clumsy.

Time management is my worst thing - no matter how hard I try, I’m late for everything. I procastinate so much that all of my assignments and work is done last minute, and if i try start work early (when I am not stressed) I struggle to do it as I daydream and get distracted by other things.

I take a long time to shower, clean my room, and write things. My handwriting is usually neat when I am able to take my time over it, but if I’m in exams or in a lecture, my writing is terrible. I’m also terrible with money and impulse buy a lot of things, no matter how much I try to hold back.

How much of this is attributed to my poor mental health? Should I get assessed for dyspraxia? Or am I just a **** person in general?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    dude I think you should go for the assessment and I got an anime that you should relate to (you said your into music and your clumsy you may relate somewhat to a character in this anime) But for the most part just hang in there if you got dyspraxia it ain't the end of the world you never know you may have some hidden benefits that come out of it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by AspiringAccount)
    dude I think you should go for the assessment and I got an anime that you should relate to (you said your into music and your clumsy you may relate somewhat to a character in this anime) But for the most part just hang in there if you got dyspraxia it ain't the end of the world you never know you may have some hidden benefits that come out of it.
    Is it worth the effort of assessment though? It’s a lot of money and if it turns out I don’t have it, I’ll feel even worse as it’ll mean I’m just lazy. What’s the anime?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Is it worth the effort of assessment though? It’s a lot of money and if it turns out I don’t have it, I’ll feel even worse as it’ll mean I’m just lazy. What’s the anime?
    oh I was under the impression that it was free under the NHS but ok maybe this is something you gotta go through. the anime is here it's in English - https://animestreams.tv/your-lie-in-april/

(Original post by AspiringAccount)
    oh I was under the impression that it was free under the NHS but ok maybe this is something you gotta go through. the anime is here it's in English - https://animestreams.tv/your-lie-in-april/
    Do you have any or know anyone with experience of dyspraxia screening?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Do you have any or know anyone with experience of dyspraxia screening?
    No I don't sorry I am thought to be dyslexic.

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked into what your university can offer disabled students?

I am dyslexic, and I knew this from childhood however when I started university I needed another assessment.

The uni did a brief screening test that was about 30 questions, they they referred me to an ED psych. Then the Ed psych confirmed the dyslexia diagnosis and also diagnosed me with dyspraxia.

I didn't pay anything.

Get assessed that way you will know a bit more about yourself. Even if you are not dyspraxic, you are still not a **** person.

Being dyspraxic is not a magic cure all , and staying organised is tough. My uni does not care, and they still expect me to perform at the same level as all the other medical students.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.