Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I have been facing some challenges in finding the cosine and sine and tangent of any angle greater than 360. First of all, I know that is it is equivalent to the sine or cosine or tangent of its equivalent angle and +/- sine or cosine or tangent of the reference angle, but why is that ? Is there any proof anyone can provide.
    Second of all, how can we solve this:
    Find the equation equal to this
    cos(x-770) the answer is cos(x-50) but why?
    Please I need an answer ASAP
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    I can explain you second point using quadrants look at the image below
    Name:  image-fe24aa65-6ada-4fab-bbde-a8f059d84ec7795874836-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 13
Size:  34.7 KB
    as you see the first circles going around is 770 degrees it goes around the quadrant (360+360) and this means that when we start from 0 and Go around the guadrant twice then we get 720 degrees now we want the angle reference to the x axis so we do 770-720 = 50 so this tells that cos 770 = cos 50.
    at Times you have to take care with the signs like this example below;
    Name:  image-d6757f04-b306-4fdc-954b-23bab8408c81-1002842912-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Size:  33.5 KB
    here we r looking at another way to write sin (580) as you can see in the pic that we can write it as sin 40 but that angle falls in the third quadrant where all values of sine is negative so we would write our answer as this;
    Sin 580 = -sin 40
    hope you understand this. if not let me know so that I can try better and let me know how help full was this
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramzi Zeidan)
    Hello,
    I have been facing some challenges in finding the cosine and sine and tangent of any angle greater than 360. First of all, I know that is it is equivalent to the sine or cosine or tangent of its equivalent angle and +/- sine or cosine or tangent of the reference angle, but why is that ? Is there any proof anyone can provide.
    thanks
    I don't understand what you are asking in you first question too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainmaster)
    I can explain you second point using quadrants look at the image below
    Name:  image-fe24aa65-6ada-4fab-bbde-a8f059d84ec7795874836-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Size:  34.7 KB
    as you see the first circles going around is 770 degrees it goes around the quadrant (360+360) and this means that when we start from 0 and Go around the guadrant twice then we get 720 degrees now we want the angle reference to the x axis so we do 770-720 = 50 so this tells that cos 770 = cos 50.
    at Times you have to take care with the signs like this example below;
    Name:  image-d6757f04-b306-4fdc-954b-23bab8408c81-1002842912-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Size:  33.5 KB

here we r looking at another way to write sin (580) as you can see in the pic that we can write it as sin 40 but that angle falls in the third quadrant where all values of sine is negative so we would write our answer as this;
    Sin 580 = -sin 40
    hope you understand this. if not let me know so that I can try better and let me know how help full was this
    It really was thanksss

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand what you are asking in you first question too
    How was can we prove that the cos/sin/tan of any angle is equal to the cos/sin/tan of the equivalent angle?

ReputationRep:
    How was can we prove that the cos/sin/tan of any angle is equal to the cos/sin/tan of the equivalent angle?
    then i think ive answered both your questions?

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    thanks
    http://burymathstutor.co.uk/UnitCircle.html

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    thanks
    tip;
    when you are asked such questions and don't know how to solve them or find other angles then then draw quadrants on the side and just see but remember your reference point will always be from the X AXIS!!!! and other questions like sin theta = 1/2, find values for theta in the range 0 to 360 degrees then draw quadrants again and they will tell you what other values of theta satisfy sin theta = 1/2...

ReputationRep:
    tip;
    when you are asked such questions and don't know how to solve them or find other angles then then draw quadrants on the side and just see but remember your reference point will always be from the X AXIS!!!! and other questions like sin theta = 1/2, find values for theta in the range 0 to 360 degrees then draw quadrants again and they will tell you what other values of theta satisfy sin theta = 1/2...
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    your welcome you can ask further questions if you don't understand a part. At start I never understood this but drawing the quadrants and stiff made my understanding better so you can do that too

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.