Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have my year 9 options evening today. I know what subjects I’m taking but I don’t know what questions to ask the teachers?(we are supposed to talk to the teachers and ask questions) Can someone give me some examples please

ReputationRep:
    You can ask about what content they are teaching and how is it going to help you with your future. You can also talk about the setting of the GCSES and what the highest grade needed to continue it to A Levels
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Konstantina2428)
    I have my year 9 options evening today. I know what subjects I’m taking but I don’t know what questions to ask the teachers?(we are supposed to talk to the teachers and ask questions) Can someone give me some examples please

Hi,

You absolutely can ask question to your teachers, that’s exactly what these evenings are there to help you with.

If you’ve got an idea about which subjects you’re taking, that’s a brilliant start. As the other post mentions, this evening is a great chance for you to find out more about what kinds of topics the subjects are going to be covering over the next couple of years and whether or not they match up with your areas of interest.

You can also get a better idea of what type of next steps might be available to you with the subjects you’ve chosen – some people might be thinking about university in the future, some might have an apprenticeship in mind, other might not be thinking that far ahead just yet!

The important thing to keep in mind is that you enjoy the subjects you take; after all, you’re the one going to be studying them for the next 2 years, you want to be able to enjoy the ride!

Why not think about asking your teachers if the subjects you’re thinking about taking match up with your own strengths – after all, they have been your teachers for a while and might be able to offer a point of view you haven’t considered.

I hope this helps and feel free to get back in touch if there’s anything else we can help you with!

Good luck!

Tom – National Careers Service Team.

ReputationRep:
    List of things you could ask:

- What type of things will I be learning about?
    - What are the exams like for this topic?
    - How much is the workload?
    - What type of skills are needed?
    - What future career prospects could this bring me?
    - How do you think I would do on this subject?

Some advice I have for picking your options:

1. Don't feel pressured. - Please don't allow your teachers, parents, and friends curve what you want to take for your GCSEs. At the end of the day, you're the one taking the subject and not them.

2. Pick what you like and what you're good at. - We all do better in subjects that we like, so make sure you pick subjects that you enjoy.

Good luck on your options evening.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.