Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I went to an interview recently, whereby I felt super confident and relaxed even before it started.

It was for a trainee role and was supposed to be the main round, i.e. the one where I will be meeting the person training me up and the hiring manager. But when I turned up, it was only the trainer who interviewed me and to my surprise he didn't really grill me. It was more like a normal conversation and he was really friendly. I felt there was some connection and I just felt it was short only because he was able to get all the info he needed from me.

The thing is though, some of my mates have been telling me that short interviews are bad. I know there is a final round if anything with HR, but as it is early days it is all a waiting game - A GAME I AM REALLY STARTING TO HATE (IN TERMS OF LONG UNEMPLOYMENT)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by restoz)
    I went to an interview recently, whereby I felt super confident and relaxed even before it started.

It was for a trainee role and was supposed to be the main round, i.e. the one where I will be meeting the person training me up and the hiring manager. But when I turned up, it was only the trainer who interviewed me and to my surprise he didn't really grill me. It was more like a normal conversation and he was really friendly. I felt there was some connection and I just felt it was short only because he was able to get all the info he needed from me.

The thing is though, some of my mates have been telling me that short interviews are bad. I know there is a final round if anything with HR, but as it is early days it is all a waiting game - A GAME I AM REALLY STARTING TO HATE (IN TERMS OF LONG UNEMPLOYMENT)
    Depends on the kind of stuff asked, perhaps your answers were closed where they should have been expansive and triggered conversation. Alternatively You could be right, if the questions were straightforward and there's another round of interviews then perhaps he got all he needed
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chichaldo)
    Depends on the kind of stuff asked, perhaps your answers were closed where they should have been expansive and triggered conversation. Alternatively You could be right, if the questions were straightforward and there's another round of interviews then perhaps he got all he needed
    Yeah the questions weren't difficult, it just felt like a natural conversation if anything. I was asked questions like how I would deal with difficult end users and what not as it was for a support role. I was asked a question on relational databases, but I just felt that it was perhaps the interviewers' personality or work style that made them not ask so many deep questions. It is for a trainee position after all, and I felt maybe he was looking more at personality more than anything else

I have been to other trainee positions in the past, whereby they don't grill you much on the technical stuff and just want to see you as a person. Oh well, can only pray to god know and hope it is all for the best

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else had similar experiences?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by restoz)
    Anyone else had similar experiences?

Hey,

Just wondering if you got the job in the end and what feedback did you get - if any?

I had an interview yesterday, and wasn't given any instructions such as what to bring or how long the interview was supposed to last.

But it was a very 'chilled' interview - I felt very confident and relaxed. both of them are relatively new to their role and seemed like they didnt really know what questions to ask.

They asked things like 'where do you see yourself in 5 years time?, whats your biggest failure and achievement' They both came with my CV and a few notes written down. But my worry is the interview only lasted about 25minutes with one of the guy asking me "is there any questions you'd like to ask?" about 3 times 😰 They both seemed as if they were more nervous than I.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2018
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.