Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Constantly crying, anxious and depressed watch

ReputationRep:
    Please, please help me.

So I have been studting A levels for six months : history, art, politics and arts award. At the start of the school year, I was in love with these subjects and absolutely over the money that I would never have to study maths or science again. My brain was made for arts and humanities, that's what myself and my mum told me.

My mum never made me look at the ib course at my school. She knew how maths used to make me cry and stressed and I knew that too . It was tempting; they offered Japanese ab. I've always had an interest in Asian history and culture. But instead, I turned my arts award into japanese and art related stuff.

I loved a levels at first, so much more time to relax and spend with my family. My best friend was also there doing them with me.

Fast forward to January. I feel terrible. I'm not doing bad at school, I'm predicted AAA. But I feel unhappy, incomplete. I'm doing lots of hobbies and stuff outside of school and stuff. And I still like my lessons.

But it feels like the same thing every day. I miss maths, for some weird, abhorrent reason. I guess it's because I felt amazing when I had finally accomplished it. I miss being taught language, learning something new every day and that sense of pride when I could speak in another language. I miss science too.

I spoke to a teacher about this today. She said there was no way I could change and said I would feel worse if I did. I think that is true. I just honestly wish I could do all the exams tommorow though because it's making me cry and feel horrible all the time now. I feel like I'm wasting time when I watch a film or relax. Sometimes I wish they would just drown me in work, it might make me work more.

I never used to be like this before gcses, but now I'm just obsessed with school. What I'm doing, is it right? These what ifs are horrible and I sometimes just want to stand in a road and get run over.

I'm seeing a psychatrist now. It does help me feel more relaxed and I honestly felt a little better until this Sunday and it's gone on a down wards slope. I'm not sure if it's something wrong with me or my school work or even my school??

Please can someone make some suggestions? I hate feeling this way.

ReputationRep:
    It's a good thing that people are aware of how you are feeling, because it means you've got a 'safety net' and this is a great thing. Basically, I would suggest that you talk to somebody you trust when you feel this way, whether it is a family member, friend or teacher. Just somebody who will listen and not take things the wrong way when you say things they might not have realised or even want to know. Regardless of these possible factors, believe me it is way better to tell somebody everything on your mind straight away because if you let it bottle up, all that happens is you feel a lot worse.

In relation to the work ethic, do the work assigned and a little bit extra each night - it isn't good to do very little work, nor is it good to overwork because it will impact your grades in the long run and then you will feel worse.

Don't think you are doing badly at school if you aren't getting A/A* grades like you used to, it just means that the workload is more challenging and will take time to get your head around. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Just keep at it - think positively.

Believe me, I know how you feel - I went from A's to E's in the second half term. I got so disheartened I began to give up, but my teachers told me that my work was still satisfactory, yet I still felt like I was failing.

What I would say, if you're constantly worrying about it or even if you are not, go and talk to your teachers - whether at the end of the lesson or break or lunch - and ask them how they think you are doing, because they won't want you to worry about it so much that it's making you unwell.

I hope this helps,
    If there's anything else feel free to ask.

Just because you’re not studying the subjects doesn’t mean you can’t do them. There’s duolingo where you could do 10 minutes a night and learn a language, hegarty maths if you really wanted to do maths etc. Maybe in your free time you could do this as it will feel like work as you aren’t watching a film.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Em395)
    It's a good thing that people are aware of how you are feeling, because it means you've got a 'safety net' and this is a great thing. Basically, I would suggest that you talk to somebody you trust when you feel this way, whether it is a family member, friend or teacher. Just somebody who will listen and not take things the wrong way when you say things they might not have realised or even want to know. Regardless of these possible factors, believe me it is way better to tell somebody everything on your mind straight away because if you let it bottle up, all that happens is you feel a lot worse.

In relation to the work ethic, do the work assigned and a little bit extra each night - it isn't good to do very little work, nor is it good to overwork because it will impact your grades in the long run and then you will feel worse.

Don't think you are doing badly at school if you aren't getting A/A* grades like you used to, it just means that the workload is more challenging and will take time to get your head around. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Just keep at it - think positively.

Believe me, I know how you feel - I went from A's to E's in the second half term. I got so disheartened I began to give up, but my teachers told me that my work was still satisfactory, yet I still felt like I was failing.

What I would say, if you're constantly worrying about it or even if you are not, go and talk to your teachers - whether at the end of the lesson or break or lunch - and ask them how they think you are doing, because they won't want you to worry about it so much that it's making you unwell.

I hope this helps,
    If there's anything else feel free to ask.
    Thank you for the help, I will definetly keep talking to people about how I feel. I don't want to end up unhappy and alone about it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Just because you’re not studying the subjects doesn’t mean you can’t do them. There’s duolingo where you could do 10 minutes a night and learn a language, hegarty maths if you really wanted to do maths etc. Maybe in your free time you could do this as it will feel like work as you aren’t watching a film.
    I do actually do Japanese on duolingo a little every night! I shouldn't compare myself to those who do it at school because I fo actually like my own pace. Thank you for your suggestions. I hope I can feel better from it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.