Turn on thread page Beta

Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson watch

ReputationRep:
    I just started reading this book after a friend recommended it to me. However, I'm 2 chapters in and I'm already wondering whether I should put it down as I'm finding it quite difficult to get immersed in it. While the writing style is very readable compared to other books I've read, I feel like I don't understand what the bloody hell the book is about. So far there's a fixation on light eyes vs darkeyes and something about magic swords and armour.

So if any of you have read it does it get better?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Haviland-Tuf)
    I just started reading this book after a friend recommended it to me. However, I'm 2 chapters in and I'm already wondering whether I should put it down as I'm finding it quite difficult to get immersed in it. While the writing style is very readable compared to other books I've read, I feel like I don't understand what the bloody hell the book is about. So far there's a fixation on light eyes vs darkeyes and something about magic swords and armour.

So if any of you have read it does it get better?
    Whilst I haven't read the book myself, if you're unsure what it's about 2 chapters in, I'd give it a little longer before giving up on it completely - some books seem to like throwing you in the deep end with the storyline, and it becomes clearer as you get into it more

ReputationRep:
    Brandon himself has said that this is the hardest of his books to get into. The first five or so chapters introduce a new viewpoint character each chapter! However, I can guarantee that it is worth the steep learning curve. Nowhere will you find as deep a world, plot and characters, and as you said, his writing style is great. The Way of Kings was my first introduction to his writing, and he is now by far my favourite author. He's only written the first three massive books of the series - and plans ten more! - but he is writing them at an amazing rate given their size. Also, most of his books are part of an even better shared universe called the Cosmere, so they're also technically part of the same series.
    If you can't get into it yet, then I also highly recommend the Mistborn trilogy, which is shorter and has a shallower learning cure, but is still almost as good, and is part of the Cosmere. Another Cosmere book called Warbreaker is available freely online.
    You will not be disappointed!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.