Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm applying to vet med this year but unfortunately I started getting work experience quite late so I haven't managed to secure much! How much did you have? Is there anything vital that I am missing? Should I avoid applying to liverpool as they require the largest amount of experience?
    I've managed to get the following so far:
    2 weeks veterinary experience (small animal)
    1 week at a stables
    3 weeks lambing
    1 week at a goat santuary
    2 weeks doggy day care
    2 weeks cattery
    Also, is it essential to have experience at a large animal vets as I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find one??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crowlleybeaans)
    Hi everyone, I'm applying to vet med this year but unfortunately I started getting work experience quite late so I haven't managed to secure much! How much did you have? Is there anything vital that I am missing? Should I avoid applying to liverpool as they require the largest amount of experience?
    1 week at a stables
    3 weeks lambing
    2 weeks doggy day care
    2 weeks cattery
    Also, is it essential to have experience at a large animal vets as I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find one??
    PS I know I don't have a dairy farm but I am vegan and I just hope the unis will understand! Thanks a lot for any help.
    It's looking pretty good so far. A large animal vets would be ideal, but if you really can't find one then I'd maybe see if you can get any more small animal vets?

The only other obvious gap is dairy work. You say you're vegan - do you mean that you haven't gotten dairy work experience because of an objection to it on a personal level? Because if so, are you aware that you will be required to do dairy work whilst at university? There won't be any negotiation over this. It's a big part of the degree which everybody has to study, even if they never want to see a cow again after they graduate.

ReputationRep:
    You are vegan which is fine but then shouldn't you have a problem with lambing if you have a problem with dairy? You will need do do dairy experience and get experience with other animal species that some people choose to eat. I suspect you will also need to do some time in an abattoir while on the course so if you can't manage a dairy I don't think you will manage an abattoir.

1 week at a stables
    3 weeks lambing
    2 weeks doggy day care
    2 weeks cattery
    PS I know I don't have a dairy farm but I am vegan and I just hope the unis will understand! Thanks a lot for any help.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    1 week at a stables
    3 weeks lambing
    2 weeks doggy day care
    2 weeks cattery
    Looks good so far It may not be the most in terms of no. of weeks but you have covered a lot of bases which is great I've seen people get offers with less than that; to a certain extent it's about how well you learnt from these placements and how well you can reflect on them in your PS. I would also suggest doing more clinical work; ideally in a different practice to the one you went to last time just to see how different places do things. Don't worry about not having LA vet work; I didn't have any when I submitted my application (although I was able to do it after the deadline), but I know people who got into vet school without doing it at all. Maybe just look into some common LA vet work; e.g. TB testing, lameness workups, equine vaccinations etc etc etc

I'm curious why a dairy farm would be a problem, yet a sheep farm and stables were not? But yes, as bristolvet94 said unfortunately it's something that you will have to be involved in if you get into vet school.

ReputationRep:
    Just as a warning you may be a vegan and that is fine but to graduate you will have to do pre clinical EMS and some of that will involve dairy farms - this is not optional. Similarly abattoir placements are also to be expected as part of your degree.

A large part of a vets job is protecting public health - part of that through food safety. It may be your personal choice not to eat meat or drink milk but that doesn't mean you can neglect the health of those that do.

ReputationRep:
    1 week at a stables
    3 weeks lambing
    2 weeks doggy day care
    2 weeks cattery
    Hi- I’m vegan too!

Not sure what you mean by the dairy comment. I found my dairy experience really good- actually thought the lambing was worse (on one of the farms) from the vegan POV. I tend to be vegetarian and just avoid dairy/egg while on farms as I feel it’s a bit disrespectful otherwise. Going to farms has definitely given me a much better perspective on animals within farms, and vegan research has given me a good insight into parts of farming I might not have considered otherwise (which will help vet-wise, in fact I’d recommend skimming the sidebar of r/vegan on Reddit’s website- can be a little preachy but there’s some really good farmy resources there from a different animal welfare perspective).

I think you’ve got plenty work experience numbers wise, you just need to get some variation in there. Good luck!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If you can, try to get a week or so with an equine vet and a couple of weeks at a dairy or beef farm over the summer. Perhaps something along the lines of a chicken farm or a free-range pig farm, if you have one near-by, would broaden your experience. I do think your application would benefit from more clinical experience, even if it’s just small animal- you can state on the work experience forms that you had difficulty finding others because of location etc.
    I’ve known people get offers with 5 weeks and very little farm work, so don’t fret too much
    Good luck!!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If your vegan beliefs mean that you are unable to do work on a dairy farm, then you categorically shouldn't go to vet school. It won't be fair on you, farmers, vets and other staff alike

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    If your vegan beliefs mean that you are unable to do work on a dairy farm, then you categorically shouldn't go to vet school. It won't be fair on you, farmers, vets and other staff alike
    If I could rep this I would!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.