Turn on thread page Beta

Dating a girl a year older watch

I was just wondering if you'd feel even 5% slightly weird about dating a girl older than you. I know ultimately most guys would be fine with it, but is it still not seen as ideal? E.g like dating a girl with bigger feet than you.

I ask because I'm a year older then most guys I know at uni as I took a year out. I've been involved with three guys and they were all younger than me. I'd find it weird dating a boy in the year below from my school, but at uni it doesn't really make a difference to me as we're essentially in the same year now and I've always known them that way.

Would it make any of you feel even slightly emasculated?
    I also don't just mean a few months difference, I mean approx 12 months, potentially more depending on birthday months.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Dude she's one years older than you, not 10 years older

ReputationRep:
    some do; some don't.

i, for one, don't give a ****.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I've been 15 years older than me before, I couldn't give a shiny shite.

(Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx)
    Dude she's one years older than you, not 10 years older
    Why don't you ever read people's posts properly?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Why don't you ever read people's posts properly?
    They type too much, so I just answer their thread question instead. And how do you know that I might not read others ppls posts

They type too much, so I just answer their thread question instead. And how do you know that I might not read others ppls posts
    Imagine not having the attention span to read a short paragraph.
    I see so many of your replies on threads where you don't answer the question properly because you don't read the OP or click on links. If you haven't got anything valuable to add to a conversation, and if you don't want to spend the effort reading someone's post then simply don't reply. It's not a competition of who can reply to the most threads. I feel like now you're a CA, you think it's your duty to answer as many threads as possible (which is fine) but you rarely offer useful or insightful advice. Perhaps you just like the sound of your own voice.

I'm 21 and my boyfriend is 19 lol it doesn't matter no one cares

I'm 21 and my boyfriend is 19 lol it doesn't matter no one cares
    Yeah I know, like the guys I was involved with obviously didn't seem bothered but I was just wondering if there's ever a part of guys that secretly finds it less ideal when their gf is older. E.g I'd imagine most guys would prefer to be the taller one in the relationship, or they'd enjoy the feeling of paying for a date, or enjoy feeling like they can protect their girlfriend, or being the more dominant one etc.
    This isn't going to change things for me, so no one has to be polite and PC, but I just wanted some truthful and blunt answers. My own curiosity because obviously the guys I was dating weren't exactly going to say anything negative about it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Imagine not having the attention span to read a short paragraph.
    I see so many of your replies on threads where you don't answer the question properly because you don't read the OP or click on links. If you haven't got anything valuable to add to a conversation, and if you don't want to spend the effort reading someone's post then simply don't reply. It's not a competition of who can reply to the most threads. I feel like now you're a CA, you think it's your duty to answer as many threads as possible (which is fine) but you rarely offer useful or insightful advice. Perhaps you just like the sound of your own voice.
    My attention span is perfectly fine, otherwise I wouldnt be going out my way helping out other users on here. Some of those threads that you are speaking about, are full on paragraphs, which I dont have time to read, so instead I skim read. Whenever I do put my input to a thread, i personally think its valuable to the OP but in your case, it seems not. And FYI, for me its not about answering as many threads, otherwise I would be commenting on every thread I see. I answer the ones which I think are relevant and shows that ppl really do need the advice/help. I dont know who you are but maybe its just your own threads that I dont provides any 'insightful' advice. I mean this thread is a prior example. Nah its not my voice hun, I like the style of words that I use. Have a great evening/morning

ReputationRep:
    A year? It's not that deep fam

ReputationRep:
    Whats the big deal? How would it make me feel less masculine or whatever?

(Original post by alexschmalex)
    A year? It's not that deep fam
    (Original post by monkeyman0121)
    Whats the big deal? How would it make me feel less masculine or whatever?
    Guys would sometimes joke about it and call me old so was wondering if it crosses their mind enough to joke about it then is there more behind it.

ReputationRep:
    Guys would sometimes joke about it and call me old so was wondering if it crosses their mind enough to joke about it then is there more behind it.
    i honestly think they're just teasing you and i don't think they're putting much thought to it.

My boyfriend is a year younger than me and he doesn't seem to care

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if you'd feel even 5% slightly weird about dating a girl older than you. I know ultimately most guys would be fine with it, but is it still not seen as ideal? E.g like dating a girl with bigger feet than you.

I ask because I'm a year older then most guys I know at uni as I took a year out. I've been involved with three guys and they were all younger than me. I'd find it weird dating a boy in the year below from my school, but at uni it doesn't really make a difference to me as we're essentially in the same year now and I've always known them that way.

Would it make any of you feel even slightly emasculated?
    I also don't just mean a few months difference, I mean approx 12 months, potentially more depending on birthday months.
    It's wrong to date an older woman, I don't why it just is. Geezers are meant to go out with younger chicks. I know it's not the law, but it's natural. Dump your boyfriend and finder an older model. Hope this has helped

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't make a huge difference, it is only a year (or so). When people comment, they are only joking so I wouldn't pay much attention to what they say.

ReputationRep:
    You responded when the post was clear they were a female wondering about the male perspective.

ReputationRep:
    Fine. I have a child with a girl 3 years older than me. All my friends are 3-5 years older than me and there is nothing wrong with that. Best for exalted orbs, awesome curency for buy and all orbs what can you find in the Path of Exile: Bestiary https://odealo.com/games/path-of-exile

It's really not a big deal, at all. One year is nothing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.