Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey can anyone help em out with this question? I've attempted it but I'm pretty sure that I got . it wrong and I don't know hat the correct answer is.

Thanks
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    You must have more information...

ReputationRep:
    it gave a IV graph for filament lamp and a resistor before this and asked to calculate the resistance of the resistor for which I got 14.5Ohms.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by FaNtAsY FlAmE 7*)
    it gave a IV graph for filament lamp and a resistor before this and asked to calculate the resistance of the resistor for which I got 14.5Ohms.
    Scan and post the graph.

ReputationRep:
    Here they are. I've only managed to do the first one and I think the other link to one another but I'm not sure.
    Attached Images

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by FaNtAsY FlAmE 7*)
    Here they are. I've only managed to do the first one and I think the other link to one another but I'm not sure.
    Both components are connected in series which means the current is the same at all points in the series path.

Therefore 0.18A flows through both the resistor and the lamp.

The resistor is linear as shown by the straight line IV graph and as you correctly deduced, is around 14.5 ohms.

Which means the voltage drop across the resistor for 0.18A current is:

V_{R} =  I \text{ x }R = 0.18 \text{ x } 14.5 = 2.6 \text{volts}

Again reading from the graph, this time for the lamp characteristic, the voltage required to produce a current flow of 0.18A through the lamp is around 0.8 volts.

From Kirchoff's voltage rule, the sum of the voltage drops in a series path must equal the supply voltage.

Vsupply = VR + Vlamp

Vsupply = 2.6 + 0.8 = 3.4 Volts.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 26, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.