Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Aberdeen rejection, please help watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Greetings everyone

So I have just received a track update saying that my Aberdeen application for Psychology has been unsuccessful and I honestly don't understand why... I'm doing the IB and their entry requirements are 32 points and 555 at HL, while my predicted grades are 43 and 776 at HL... I know grades aren't everything, but I feel like my personal statement was okay, and the reference should also be okay since my professor wrote it who likes me and also has experience writing references... Can I ask the university for clarification or anything? Because Aberdeen was my safe choice and now that I wasn't accepted there I'm suddenly really nervous about my other choices. I've received an offer from Glasgow already, but am still waiting for UCL, Edinburgh and St Andrews. If my application was not good enough for Aberdeen, then it also probably won't be enough for the other unis...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lenakroos)
    Greetings everyone

So I have just received a track update saying that my Aberdeen application for Psychology has been unsuccessful and I honestly don't understand why... I'm doing the IB and their entry requirements are 32 points and 555 at HL, while my predicted grades are 43 and 776 at HL... I know grades aren't everything, but I feel like my personal statement was okay, and the reference should also be okay since my professor wrote it who likes me and also has experience writing personal statements... Can I ask the university for clarification or anything? Because Aberdeen was my safe choice and now that I wasn't accepted there I'm suddenly really nervous about my other choices. I've received an offer from Glasgow already, but am still waiting for UCL, Edinburgh and St Andrews. If my application was not good enough for Aberdeen, then it also probably won't be enough for the other unis...
    Definitely ask for feedback because that is very strange.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Greetings everyone

So I have just received a track update saying that my Aberdeen application for Psychology has been unsuccessful and I honestly don't understand why... I'm doing the IB and their entry requirements are 32 points and 555 at HL, while my predicted grades are 43 and 776 at HL... I know grades aren't everything, but I feel like my personal statement was okay, and the reference should also be okay since my professor wrote it who likes me and also has experience writing personal statements... Can I ask the university for clarification or anything? Because Aberdeen was my safe choice and now that I wasn't accepted there I'm suddenly really nervous about my other choices. I've received an offer from Glasgow already, but am still waiting for UCL, Edinburgh and St Andrews. If my application was not good enough for Aberdeen, then it also probably won't be enough for the other unis...
    have you read the letter of rejection on UCAS?
    And honestly don't worry about the other universities, if its any consolidation i got rejected by Nottingham for a foundation year whose grades were BBC...I'm predicted AAB and have four offers from russell group unis so just forget about it, it's the universities loss

ReputationRep:
    I have the exact same situation, I was just rejected for MA Hons Geography and they have the same requirements, and my predicted were 41 points... on their application portal there is still "being considered" status. I have just emailed them for feedback, I am shocked tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    Definitely ask for feedback because that is very strange.
    I sent them an email and a lady replied saying she'll forward my request, so I'm waiting for a feedback now.

(Original post by abiantoinette)
    have you read the letter of rejection on UCAS?
    And honestly don't worry about the other universities, if its any consolidation i got rejected by Nottingham for a foundation year whose grades were BBC...I'm predicted AAB and have four offers from russell group unis so just forget about it, it's the universities loss
    The letter of rejection on UCAS is actually very strange (well tbh I don't really know how it's supposed to look like) but anyways in the middle of it it says this:

University of Aberdeen may have decided not to offer you a place, or your application may have been withdrawn. Here are the details we have been given:

However, then it just continues with what the UCAS has to say about it, therefore, they didn't provide any details? Idk if they should or is it just optional?
    And yeah it is a consolidation actually, thank you, because I was really worried that the other unis won't accept me as well. We'll see

(Original post by cashis)
    I have the exact same situation, I was just rejected for MA Hons Geography and they have the same requirements, and my predicted were 41 points... on their application portal there is still "being considered" status. I have just emailed them for feedback, I am shocked tbh
    That is so strange! I have no idea what's their deal, do they really have that many applicants?
    My status on the portal is rejected, so I guess it wasn't a mistake...
    I also emailed them for feedback, I really want to know their reason tbh. Tell me when they reply to you, because I'm curious for their reasons for you as well.

ReputationRep:
    They replied the same as to you, that they will forward it for feedback. On their applicant portal it changed for "rejected" so I guess it's not a mistake either

ReputationRep:
    Same for me... I got rejected from Aberdeen that was my first choice and got accepted by Glasgow. Now I’m waiting for the other three but I’m feeling very demotivated

ReputationRep:
    They didn't answer me yet but I just got attractive offer from UCL so it doesn't really matter, I'm still curious though

ReputationRep:
    That is strange, is it possible that they prefer A levels to the IB?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anagogic)
    I think Scottish unis prefer international/UK students over European/home students because the former pay more tuition fees...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cashis)
    They didn't answer me yet but I just got attractive offer from UCL so it doesn't really matter, I'm still curious though
    Omg an offer from UCL, that's so amazing! Who needs Aberdeen then
    Yes, same, and they still haven't emailed me since the "we'll forward your request" mail...

(Original post by Anagogic)
    I doubt it, when I was at St. Andrews one professor told me that they really like IB students because they always do very well. Maybe Aberdeen prefers A levels though I don't see a reason for it really..

(Original post by hysterria)
    I think Scottish unis prefer international/UK students over European/home students because the former pay more tuition fees...
    I've heard that too and I guess it makes sense. But it's kinda unfair though, it's not my fault that my tuition fees are lower (and if they were higher I couldn't afford studying there)

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that too and I guess it makes sense. But it's kinda unfair though, it's not my fault that my tuition fees are lower (and if they were higher I couldn't afford studying there)
    Yupp, I feel the same. My top choice (Glasgow) gave me an offer asking for a grade that was only achieved by 3 people in the country last year.. They went to places like Oxbridge and Harvard. I guess we just have to accept that the advantage of not having to pay comes with the disadvantage of needing insanely high grades to get in :/
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE: Aberdeen replied to me with a very ambiguous mail, but apparently the point of it was that they needed a proof of my past performance, therefore, predicted grades. Apparently, they could not access my predicted grades on my UCAS (even though Glasgow could?), however, my referee showed me an e-mail from UCAS, where it is confirmed that she uploaded my PGs on the UCAS.
    Also, my application would not have been sent to the universities if there were no predicted grades, because UCAS checks applications before sending them to the unis. So I'm really confused what Aberdeen's deal is here. There is also no one in the Admission Sector right now, so they can't tell me if they would reconsider my application (even though none of this is my fault?).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hysterria)
    Yupp, I feel the same. My top choice (Glasgow) gave me an offer asking for a grade that was only achieved by 3 people in the country last year.. They went to places like Oxbridge and Harvard. I guess we just have to accept that the advantage of not having to pay comes with the disadvantage of needing insanely high grades to get in :/
    A grade only achieved by three in the country?? What is their deal though? I guess this is the problem if you're not doing A-Levels or at least something international, because they don't know how achievable these grades are. You could write them an e-mail explaining this?

ReputationRep:
    A grade only achieved by three in the country?? What is their deal though? I guess this is the problem if you're not doing A-Levels or at least something international, because they don't know how achievable these grades are. You could write them an e-mail explaining this?
    I've written them an email and they replied saying that the entry was "very competitive" this year and they sadly couldn't consider lowering my offer... :/ I really don't understand how any EU students manage to get in tbh :')

ReputationRep:
    I got the exact same reply, even though I'm fairly sure my referee entered my predicted grades. I will check it with her today and reply to Aberdeen because damn, I would like a real reason for my rejection???

Edit: I checked with my teacher and the predicted grades were put in AND CONFIRMED in an email from UCAS, however when I called UCAS today, they said no predicted grades were provided on my application (which is obviously a mistake in the system as they sent a confirmation email with all of them listed to my referee). Apparently UCL contacted my teacher privately to get PGs for me and that's why I got an offer from them. I can't be bothered to fix this as I am happy with UCL, but I'd advise to check that also in your case.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.