Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    What is this?/I'm confused
    Hi there. If you're confused as to what is going on here then you are probably new to this section of TSR. This is a Model House of Commons, a forum where we emulate the structure of the Real Life House of Commons as an excuse to debate politics.

If you are seeing this and you want to get involved in the debate, please feel free. You do not need to join a party, get approval or join any group to get stuck in right away. If you enjoy it and you do want to join a party then you can do so here. If you have any questions or need any help please message me. I am the current speaker of the house and part of my role involves offering impartial advice to new members so I will always be happy to answer what questions you have. Alternatively, you can read the new members guide to get advice on a wide range of issues.

Note: Please refrain from making comments about how we spend our free time. It is our free time to spend.

B1341 - Deposit Return Scheme Bill 2018, TSR Labour Party

Deposit Return Scheme Bill 2018

An Act to introduce a deposit return scheme for bottles and cans.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most excellent Majesty, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1: Depositable Containers
    (1) The provisions of this Act shall apply to the following containers (referred to hereafter as ‘Depositable Containers’):
    (1) a. Plastic bottles, no larger than two litres, in which a beverage is sold.
    (1) b. Glass bottles in which beer or cider is sold.
    (1) c. Aluminium cans in which a beverage is sold.
    (2) Depositable containers must bear the text ‘DEPOSIT RETURN SCHEME 20 PENCE’ and the scheme’s official logo.

2: Implementation of a Deposit
    (1) When a depositable container is sold, a deposit of 20 pence must be collected alongside the sale price.
    (2) That a 20-pence deposit will be levied must be clearly stated at the point of sale.
    (3) An official record must be kept of all depositable containers sold.

3: Return Scheme
    (1) All retail premises with a floor area greater than 300 m² that sell depositable containers must also collect depositable containers for recycling.
    (2) All depositable containers bearing the text and logo set out in 1(2) must be collected by all premises, regardless of the purchase location.
    (3) The deposit must be returned in cash, as an electronic payment, or as a voucher for the collecting premises.
    (4) Where depositable containers are collected, the collecting premises are responsible for ensuring appropriate recycling.
    (5) The Government may also choose to install collection points which return the deposit in cash or as an electronic payment.
    (6) An official record must be kept of all depositable containers collected.

4: Transfer of Deposit Money
    (1) On the first working day of each month, the records collected under 2(3) and 3(6) must be submitted to the Secretary of State.
    (2) Where more deposit money was collected than returned, the difference will be collected.
    (3) Where more deposit money was returned than collected, the premises will be refunded the difference.

5: Extent, Commencement and Short Title
    (1) This Act extends to the United Kingdom.
    (2) The provisions of this Act come into force on the 1st of April 2019.
    (3) This Act may be cited as the Deposit Return Scheme Act 2018.

Notes
    A deposit return scheme, as used in countries such as Germany, is an ideal solution to the issues of ensuring bottles and cans are recycled, and reducing amounts of litter.

The scheme provides an incentive for customers to return their bottles and cans for recycling – a 20p deposit will be collected at the point of purchase, which may be refunded at a number of shops in either cash or a voucher for that shop.

The scheme offers a further incentive for citizens to collect any bottles or cans that they see have been dropped as litter, as they can be returned and the deposit collected.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Personally, I believe that this is a good idea; one that has worked well in the likes of Portugal, where this applies, primarily, to 'beer bottles'.

However, personal qualms with its implementation in this bill arise from 1(2) and 2(1) - the containers shouldn't have the bear the amount, and different types of depositable containers should be rewarded with different amounts.

What exactly will the records in 2(3) and 3(6) include? If one wishes to store the name and personal details of each and every person who purchases a 'depositable container' this will be a bureaucratic nightmare. Or, does one envisage that it would simply be a 'x amount of y (type) sold on DD/MM/YYYY'?

Finally, 3(3) may be subject to exploitation: one may interpret that a business may return the value of the containers as cash, electronic payment or voucher; businesses may choose to force their customers to take a voucher for said business. There ought to be a safeguard as to ensure that, on request, a business must always return the value as cash. That is, unless the customer requests a voucher.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    I’m unsure of whether the notes adequately explain why we need this, and it really doesn’t appeal to me. Nay

Please feel free to convince me though
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I like this idea, a market based adaptation strategy to deal with the enviroment; just the way I like it.

It’s an aye from me.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I agree with Connor27, but I would be interested to know the Labour Party's estimations as to how much this would cost.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Yeah I had actually thought of introducing a similar bill myself, aye.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by ns_2)
    Personally, I believe that this is a good idea; one that has worked well in the likes of Portugal, where this applies, primarily, to 'beer bottles'.

However, personal qualms with its implementation in this bill arise from 1(2) and 2(1) - the containers shouldn't have the bear the amount, and different types of depositable containers should be rewarded with different amounts.

What exactly will the records in 2(3) and 3(6) include? If one wishes to store the name and personal details of each and every person who purchases a 'depositable container' this will be a bureaucratic nightmare. Or, does one envisage that it would simply be a 'x amount of y (type) sold on DD/MM/YYYY'?

Finally, 3(3) may be subject to exploitation: one may interpret that a business may return the value of the containers as cash, electronic payment or voucher; businesses may choose to force their customers to take a voucher for said business. There ought to be a safeguard as to ensure that, on request, a business must always return the value as cash. That is, unless the customer requests a voucher.
    What would be the justification for different amounts for different containers? I'm minded to keep things as simple as possible.

The records would be the number of containers sold and therefore the amount of deposit money taken. Nothing that isn't already kept my the vast majority of businesses, just not currently in the context of deposits.

3(3) is deliberately designed to give the choice to the business. In Germany (whose system I am heavily basing this on as it's the one I've been using on a daily basis for the last 5 months) a voucher is standard – the idea is that you return the bottles to the supermarket and get a voucher for the shop you are about to do. There has to be some incentive for the business and this seems to be a fair one – it's certainly one that seems to work in practice.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I am in favour of this, it is a good scheme to ensure that plastic and glass is recycled and not consigned to landfill where decomposition is a very slow process. As the notes state, it will also dissuade people from littering while also encouraging citizens to collect anything that is littered in return for cash or vouchers, whichever the business in question chooses. This is a system already in use in many countries, such as Germany, where it has been implemented with success.

ReputationRep:
    I want to know how this relates to recycling at home via council collections. My recyclable waste, including such bottles, is collected from my property by the council. It is no trouble for householders and results in a high rate of recycling in my area.

If my bottles come attached to a refundable deposit I will be encouraged to make car journeys to a supermarket to reclaim the deposits (even though the groceries are delivered by the supermarket), and I will have to find space to store bottles and cans separately. That is very inconvenient.

It seems a step backwards for those who recycle currently.

ReputationRep:
    This bill has been down a year ago here
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    This bill has been down a year ago here
    There was a bill to do the same thing last term, but it was lost at the end of term.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    I want to know how this relates to recycling at home via council collections. My recyclable waste, including such bottles, is collected from my property by the council. It is no trouble for householders and results in a high rate of recycling in my area.

If my bottles come attached to a refundable deposit I will be encouraged to make car journeys to a supermarket to reclaim the deposits (even though the groceries are delivered by the supermarket), and I will have to find space to store bottles and cans separately. That is very inconvenient.

It seems a step backwards for those who recycle currently.
    Now admittedly online grocery shopping is not a thing in Germany at all, but I think that on balance the incentive for people to recycle containers that were previously not recycled will have far greater effect than the effect on people who never set foot in a supermarket and thus don't have an opportunity to return containers built into their routine (though there is the possibility of government collection machines in the bill precisely to plug some of these gaps).

Whilst I'm cautious about writing it into the bill, you might well find that supermarkets would take back bottles and pay back the deposit when they deliver, as some of them already do with carrier bags.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Seen this before. Supported it then (iirc) and support it still.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye, a small step but a large leap for making our country cleaner.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, this seems like a sensible policy that will be beneficial to the environment.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I support this bill, as it is a policy the Liberal Party have supported but haven't been able to pass for the last three terms

ReputationRep:
    aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Germany, Lithuania has a similar system to which is being proposed.

Aye.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This has gone to cessation
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Division!

Clear the lobbies!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.