Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am currently applying to student finance, however I have a few questions about my application.

Firstly, (although this might sound stupid) the application asks for a Valid Passport. My Passport is currently out of date - does this make it invalid?

Secondly, I am currently undecided as to whether I should stay at home (as I live close to my uni of choice) or stay in halls.
    I am swaying towards staying in halls, and so I am therefore eager to apply to accommodation so that I don't get left with the worst options, but am still unsure - do I apply for the loan for accommodation just in case?

If I change my mind on staying in halls and decide that I want to stay at home before I actually get to university, how do I go about notifying student finance? Is it even possible to cancel my loan at this stage?

Furthermore, if I actually get to university and really regret my decision of staying at halls, is there any way that I can cancel my accommodation and therefore return my loan or would I have to pay off the rest of the loan for the remainder of the year?

Sorry if none of that made sense, but I have been trying to find out the answers to these questions on the student finance page and on the internet and I haven't had much luck.

Thank you for your help!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by mollymarshall23)
    Hi

I am currently applying to student finance, however I have a few questions about my application.

Firstly, (although this might sound stupid) the application asks for a Valid Passport. My Passport is currently out of date - does this make it invalid?

Secondly, I am currently undecided as to whether I should stay at home (as I live close to my uni of choice) or stay in halls.
    I am swaying towards staying in halls, and so I am therefore eager to apply to accommodation so that I don't get left with the worst options, but am still unsure - do I apply for the loan for accommodation just in case?

If I change my mind on staying in halls and decide that I want to stay at home before I actually get to university, how do I go about notifying student finance? Is it even possible to cancel my loan at this stage?

Furthermore, if I actually get to university and really regret my decision of staying at halls, is there any way that I can cancel my accommodation and therefore return my loan or would I have to pay off the rest of the loan for the remainder of the year?

Sorry if none of that made sense, but I have been trying to find out the answers to these questions on the student finance page and on the internet and I haven't had much luck.

Thank you for your help!
    Hi Molly,

To apply for finance we require valid ID evidence, if your passport has expired, we can accept your birth certificate along with a birth/adoption declaration form (see below).

You can indicate on your application that you are going to be living elsewhere, then if you change your mind you can update this on your online account, if you change your mind and you have already had funding for living elsewhere and you change to living at home we will just reduce your future installments that you are entitled to for that year.

ADIF - http://bit.ly/2EiFiV3

Thanks

Catherine

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.