Turn on thread page Beta

Which work placement should I choose? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I am an Scottish student in S5 (year 12) and will be applying for medicine 2019 entry. For work experience so far I have done:

1) 3 days cardiovascular research lab. I was 15 at the time so I spent most of the time shadowing PhD students and talking to the professor.
    2) one week with a consultant urologist. I spent quite a lot of time in surgery, also shadowing junior doctors and in clinic.

For volunteering I have:

3) 10 months (18 by time of application) volunteering with hospital snack trolley going round the wards.
    4) I am setting up volunteering at a disabled children’s play centre weekly. I will have 6 months by time of application.
    5) I am also setting up volunteering in a care home weekly until applications.

For future work experience
    1) I have two days of GP work experience planned for this week.
    2) I have also planned to go back to the research lab. Now that I’m sixteen, I can get a bit more involved and spend some time in the hospital attached.
    3) I have signed up for a medic insight work experience week where you spend time in lots of different departments, and am hoping to get a place.

However I have a problem because during the summer holidays I booked a week volunteering at a holiday camp for people with additional needs. The same week there is a science insight programme where you spend time shadowing in my city’s five big research labs, and attend research focused lectures. The week programme looks fab but I feel I would gain more skills volunteering. I could ask to change the week volunteering but I feel I have already made a commitment and this is the only youth week during the summer.

Based on my previous and planned experience, what one should I pick?

Thanks in advance
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    By any chance, is the holiday camp with an organisation called Revitalise ?

ReputationRep:
    I would like to work in a travel agent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gomgossa)
    By any chance, is the holiday camp with an organisation called Revitalise ?
    Yep

ReputationRep:
    You've done a lot and you wn't be able to talk about it all on your PS. It's better for quality vs quantity remember, they'd rather here about one experience in detail and what you learnt from it rather than a never ending list of everything you've done.
    Personally I'd go for what interests you more and what you feel you can benefit on. Based on all the experiences you have(and if you get into MI you will have about 4 or 5 more experiences to be able to reflect upon) you won't necessarily mention either in the PS so go for your preferenece

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AzureCeleste)
    You've done a lot and you wn't be able to talk about it all on your PS. It's better for quality vs quantity remember, they'd rather here about one experience in detail and what you learnt from it rather than a never ending list of everything you've done.
    Personally I'd go for what interests you more and what you feel you can benefit on. Based on all the experiences you have(and if you get into MI you will have about 4 or 5 more experiences to be able to reflect upon) you won't necessarily mention either in the PS so go for your preferenece
    Thanks for the advice
    Where I live it seems to be a lot easier to get work experience and therefore a lot easier to get caught up in quantity and comparing yourself to every one else. I think I have enough shadowing, so anything else I do now should probably be hands on and about developing skills - I will probably go with the volunteering!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K8e.H)
    Thanks for the advice
    Where I live it seems to be a lot easier to get work experience and therefore a lot easier to get caught up in quantity and comparing yourself to every one else. I think I have enough shadowing, so anything else I do now should probably be hands on and about developing skills - I will probably go with the volunteering!
    I know, I feel like it is easier. I had way too much to talk about and not enough room. (I had 1 week shadowing ICU consultant, Medic Insight and volunteering with an autistic child).
    I think volunteering is probably best-it's also a lot more enjoyable as it's more hands on!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K8e.H)
    Yep
    Okay, so you have done so so much and honestly I think you definitely have the option to just leave it there and not do anything else. However, I did a week with revitalise last summer, and I can honestly say it was possibly the best week of my life. The atmosphere is wonderful, you get the opportunity to do more caring things than you might be used to at the hospital ward (for example helping people eat, communicating with people who often can’t talk at all and having lots of responsibility as you have one individual in your care each day). You get to see the benefits of palliative care- truly understanding how medicine isn’t just about curing but helping patients in different ways.

I met lots of wonderful people, including a woman who had lost feeling in half of her body and took it upon herself to climb down a step of incredibly steep stairs on a moving boat to use the toilet, a couple who met in the navy and spent the rest of their life together, a woman who couldn’t speak but nodded along and laughed when I mouthed the words to some karaoke. They changed my outlook on life and really motivated me to continue volunteering in other ways.

The other volunteers there were also such lovely people- I met some really good friends there, even if it’s difficult to keep friendships after just a week together. The volunteers and staff are some of the loveliest, kindest, funniest people I’ve ever met.
    I’m in year 12 and hoping to gain a place for medicine 2019 entry, but I know that if I don’t get an offer but get the grades then I will go back in my gap year to volunteer there long term.

I know every experience is different for each person, but I can say that I gained a massive amount of confidence that week and learnt so much. I would highly recommend it, anyway. :-) good luck with your decision!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gomgossa)
    Okay, so you have done so so much and honestly I think you definitely have the option to just leave it there and not do anything else. However, I did a week with revitalise last summer, and I can honestly say it was possibly the best week of my life. The atmosphere is wonderful, you get the opportunity to do more caring things than you might be used to at the hospital ward (for example helping people eat, communicating with people who often can’t talk at all and having lots of responsibility as you have one individual in your care each day). You get to see the benefits of palliative care- truly understanding how medicine isn’t just about curing but helping patients in different ways.

I met lots of wonderful people, including a woman who had lost feeling in half of her body and took it upon herself to climb down a step of incredibly steep stairs on a moving boat to use the toilet, a couple who met in the navy and spent the rest of their life together, a woman who couldn’t speak but nodded along and laughed when I mouthed the words to some karaoke. They changed my outlook on life and really motivated me to continue volunteering in other ways.

The other volunteers there were also such lovely people- I met some really good friends there, even if it’s difficult to keep friendships after just a week together. The volunteers and staff are some of the loveliest, kindest, funniest people I’ve ever met.
    I’m in year 12 and hoping to gain a place for medicine 2019 entry, but I know that if I don’t get an offer but get the grades then I will go back in my gap year to volunteer there long term.

I know every experience is different for each person, but I can say that I gained a massive amount of confidence that week and learnt so much. I would highly recommend it, anyway. :-) good luck with your decision!
    Thank you so much!!
    That sounds amazing, I’m definitely doing the revitalise now

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.