Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I need help with my A level choices! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am pretty certain on taking English literature, it's definitely my passion.
    I have two spaces left, and I am unsure on biology, philosophy, history or psychology.

I was previously really into biology and even looking at it as my degree. However, I don't really know what I'd do with it once I leave uni- I don't like the idea of lab work and I'm not really interested in research either. A lot of the things I'm interest in to do with biology are (I think) psychology based (behavioural sciences etc).

I haven't done history at GCSE, but kind of wish I had. I would really love to link it in with my English, especially the poetry. For example I know we have a piece of coursework in history where we get to study a certain time period- I would like to pick a book and poet for my English coursework that fit in with this time period, and link all three pieces of coursework together (has anyone else done this and does it work well?). However, I think some of the specification sounds quite boring and I don't want to take it and then hate some of it, especially as it's apparently very hard!

Philosophy sounds really interesting, I like essay subjects and I've heard philosophy has a lot of essays. I love debating and discussion so I think I'd enjoy it. However, I'm worried that universities won't regard it very highly.

Psychology sounds interesting, but I really don't know that much about it and I've heard that unis don't view it very well. If anyone here takes psychology I'd be really interested to know your thoughts on it.

I don't take psychology, history or philosophy. However, I am predicted a 9 in English so I will hopefully get into history or philosophy, and I am predicted a 9 in biology so that should be ok.

Also, I am currently thinking of journalism for my job. However, I know it's very competitive. Do you think this is a bad idea? I don't have any connections yet and I think this might be a problem!

Sorry, I know this was a long read!
    If you can, please can you tell me:

1. do you take any of these subjects, and if so do you enjoy them?
    2. Do you think any work particularly well together (especially any that work well with English is this is my favourite)?
    3. What jobs are there in biology that aren't lab/research based (this may be a stupid question!)
    4. What other jobs would be good with these a levels?

Thank you so much in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately I can't specifically answer any of these questions from first-hand experience as I don't take these subjects. However, I hope I am able to give you a little bit of advice for History.

I had a passion for History throughout secondary school, so I decided to take it for GCSE. However, it was only then that I found out that I liked learning about history, not the essays, and this is what wore me out. As a result this, I was put off of taking it for A-Level. History is a very heavy essay-based subject, so it depends how comfortable you are with doing essay subjects, and if being able to memorise key dates / events in chronological order etc comes naturally to you and analysing while laying them out in an essay.

I hope this helps !

ReputationRep:
    I do philosophy and it’s definitely my favourite subject. If you like debating and questioning life and our actions it’s something for you and I think unis will regard it just like any of the other humanities subjects. Philosophy isn’t as content based as other subjects like history, so it’s also easier to revise for. Good luck with your choices xx
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 13 and I'm currently doing Biology and Psychology and Chemistry and I have an AS Level in Religious Studies (which is 1/3 philosophy) so I hope I can lend a hand!

Biology is great and interesting (with its boring parts as you cover everything so there's bound to be something you dislike) but it is hard! The concepts, personally, aren't hard to grasp but it's a lot to memorise and mark schemes can be notoriously picky!

I don't know where people get the idea from that unis have a vendetta against certain subjects! As long as you meet the requirements for your course and don't take any "bad" a levels like critical thinking then you're good to go! Psychology is great, it really is. It's interesting for the most part but again it's a lot of memorisation. I would comment on what you cover but it depends hugely between and even within exam boards! I do edexcel and covered tons in the first year from phobias to eating disorders to obedience to drug addiction to dementia.

I loved the philosophy part of RS and it was really interesting considering the diversity of my class! I've always liked the unanswerable questions idea and it was just a really good experience and I wish I could have continued it to this year too! But once again it is a memorisation subject so be warned.

As for careers with biology people go on to do so much! You could email a university department and ask what they're graduates are up to and they're generally more than happy to answer! Generally the skills you again in a science degree are widely applicable with the obvious research careers to things like accountancy, you could even combine biology and journalism and become a science journalist.

I hope I've helped and feel free to ask any questions you like!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olif99)
    Unfortunately I can't specifically answer any of these questions from first-hand experience as I don't take these subjects. However, I hope I am able to give you a little bit of advice for History.

I had a passion for History throughout secondary school, so I decided to take it for GCSE. However, it was only then that I found out that I liked learning about history, not the essays, and this is what wore me out. As a result this, I was put off of taking it for A-Level. History is a very heavy essay-based subject, so it depends how comfortable you are with doing essay subjects, and if being able to memorise key dates / events in chronological order etc comes naturally to you and analysing while laying them out in an essay.

I hope this helps !
    Thank you! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yeahthatonethere)
    I'm in year 13 and I'm currently doing Biology and Psychology and Chemistry and I have an AS Level in Religious Studies (which is 1/3 philosophy) so I hope I can lend a hand!

Biology is great and interesting (with its boring parts as you cover everything so there's bound to be something you dislike) but it is hard! The concepts, personally, aren't hard to grasp but it's a lot to memorise and mark schemes can be notoriously picky!

I don't know where people get the idea from that unis have a vendetta against certain subjects! As long as you meet the requirements for your course and don't take any "bad" a levels like critical thinking then you're good to go! Psychology is great, it really is. It's interesting for the most part but again it's a lot of memorisation. I would comment on what you cover but it depends hugely between and even within exam boards! I do edexcel and covered tons in the first year from phobias to eating disorders to obedience to drug addiction to dementia.

I loved the philosophy part of RS and it was really interesting considering the diversity of my class! I've always liked the unanswerable questions idea and it was just a really good experience and I wish I could have continued it to this year too! But once again it is a memorisation subject so be warned.

As for careers with biology people go on to do so much! You could email a university department and ask what they're graduates are up to and they're generally more than happy to answer! Generally the skills you again in a science degree are widely applicable with the obvious research careers to things like accountancy, you could even combine biology and journalism and become a science journalist.

I hope I've helped and feel free to ask any questions you like!

Thank you so much, this was really helpful! I've never thought about science journalism before, but it sounds like a perfect job! I'll definitely look into it! xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N...)
    I do philosophy and it’s definitely my favourite subject. If you like debating and questioning life and our actions it’s something for you and I think unis will regard it just like any of the other humanities subjects. Philosophy isn’t as content based as other subjects like history, so it’s also easier to revise for. Good luck with your choices xx
    Thank you! xx

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.