Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I recently well about 2 or 3 months ago had a huge scare when someone attempted to break into my flat. The guy was banging and trying to open the lock of my door (he put his hand through the letter box) he was also shouting something weird very loudly. He then tried to open the window and banged on my window. He did that at around 11am on weekend morning which was unexpected and luckily my windows were closed. I have started to use a motion sensor alarm but I'm not sure it works well. One thing I noticed with this attempted break in was the fact that it's not happened before and I've been living here for around a year. It only happened soon after my new neighbour moved in who is the only person that has seen me walk in and out my flat...he used to wait outside his door and watch me walk in...which was creepy. Today I also noticed that he has what looks like a camera motion sensor (it looks like a camera recording) it is pointing to my stairs that I use to go up to my flat. This has scared me again. I can't help but think the guy that tried to break in is related or knows my neighbour especially since when that guy tried to break in, my neighbour entered his home (from outdoors) 5 minutes after that guy left - it is generally a quite area and hardly see any neighbours out. Anyway, what I'm asking for are tips on how to stop a break in, I don't want to be in the situation where someone breaks in and I just want to avoid the break in completely. Any ideas? I have put a large armchair in front my bedroom door..will this stop them from getting into my room? The armchair is underneath the handle..you can't push the handle down hence can't open the door.

ReputationRep:
    do you have a warden?
    if not call 101 and ask for the police or pcso to visit.
    if the "camera" is pointing anywhere other than his front door he can get into trouble and the police can talk to him about it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuthieG101)
    do you have a warden?
    if not call 101 and ask for the police or pcso to visit.
    if the "camera" is pointing anywhere other than his front door he can get into trouble and the police can talk to him about it.
    No warden I live in a housing association flat. He lives below me. His camera is inside his kitchen window and on the right of his window is his front door and next to his front door (on the right) are my stairs that lead upto my flat. He could get away with saying it's to monitor his front door and I don't want to cause any trouble.

Do you think it's possible for someone to break in through a bedroom door if I put my armchair in front of it?

ReputationRep:
    if you put a chair there it's unlikely that anyone will get in.
    but it's sad that you don't feel safe in your own home.
    if you're unsure about how secure your home is, ask for a pcso or someone from maintainace at your housing association to check your place over.

if your doors are locked to communal areas you should be fine.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.