Turn on thread page Beta

How to improve in A level maths? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in year 12 doing maths but I feel like I’m really struggling. I am aiming for at least an A but it’s like I’m stuck on a C. Whatever I do doesn’t seem to be helping, I do a ton of questions but still end up getting confused in the test.

My teacher doesn’t really tell me how to improve and I can’t afford a tutor, so was just wondering if anyone have some good tips on how to improve their grade in maths or what you do to revise and what helps and what doesn’t.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I am revising for my resits and I just go through a pure core maths 1 book. (Heinemann one.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N...)
    I am currently in year 12 doing maths but I feel like I’m really struggling. I am aiming for at least an A but it’s like I’m stuck on a C. Whatever I do doesn’t seem to be helping, I do a ton of questions but still end up getting confused in the test.

My teacher doesn’t really tell me how to improve and I can’t afford a tutor, so was just wondering if anyone have some good tips on how to improve their grade in maths or what you do to revise and what helps and what doesn’t.
    I assume that you're doing the new spec maths A-level, so there won't be any past papers of your type out there. That being said, the old spec papers (preferably for the same exam board) go back a long way, so they will give you a lot of practice; for a subject like maths (which is very objective), there shouldn't really be too big a difference between the old spec and the new spec (i.e. the laws of maths will still work in the same way!). It might not be exactly the same as what you'll be sitting, but past papers are probably the best way of getting used to the maths content. Many subjects come with more revision, but maths is a lot more active - "practice makes perfect".

TL;DR: try lots of past papers (even old spec ones) to get used to answering questions (and in exam conditions); I've done some old spec papers for some subjects, and they've still been good practice.

I hope that you found this useful - good luck with your studies!

ReputationRep:
    Before u go through the questions; first go through the whole all by urself in ur free time and try doing a few ( 5 to 7) questions from each exercise and then do all the practice questions at the end of the book or if the book is divided into sections then do all the review/practice questions and then go the actual past paper questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mupsman2312)
    I assume that you're doing the new spec maths A-level, so there won't be any past papers of your type out there. That being said, the old spec papers (preferably for the same exam board) go back a long way, so they will give you a lot of practice; for a subject like maths (which is very objective), there shouldn't really be too big a difference between the old spec and the new spec (i.e. the laws of maths will still work in the same way!). It might not be exactly the same as what you'll be sitting, but past papers are probably the best way of getting used to the maths content. Many subjects come with more revision, but maths is a lot more active - "practice makes perfect".

TL;DR: try lots of past papers (even old spec ones) to get used to answering questions (and in exam conditions); I've done some old spec papers for some subjects, and they've still been good practice.

I hope that you found this useful - good luck with your studies!
    Thanks! Just started doing some yesterday, I hope it helps.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.