Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay, hey fellow law students,

So i personally would say I am academically disadvantaged i didn't get great GCSE'S they range from B-D and I am currently studying a BTEC at sixth Form and I am predicted 3 Distinction stars. Prior to the questions i have been asking I'm sure you've realized i would like to become a lawyer (haven't quite decided whether i would like to be a barrister or solicitor, but I am leaning more to being a barrister).

I am in my first year of sixth form and have secured Work experience at Tuckers solicitors which is one of London's Leading criminal defence Law firm's. I have also applied to Pro bono legal representation and visit crown courts weekly to gain some skills. I am also planning on getting some work experience in chambers too. As well as this i will also be getting some experience in my local law centre. I also attend taster University sessions just to reiforce my self that i still would like to go law

My grades aren't the best either. So bottom line do you think i have even a single chance of becoming a barrister? I am aware my grades aren't the best and its not all about experience

ReputationRep:
    I’m part of the crap GCSE’s and did a BTEC crew. Whilst I can’t say very much about Law, in the sciences I was much better prepared for university than A-level students. I suppose it would depend on what BTEC you’re doing really, mine was medical science and then I went to Uni to do biomedical science so the comparisons were very close! If your BTEC is related you’re set! If not, I still think you’ll be a step ahead with the way BTEC assignments work being much more closely aligned to the university way of life. Anybody can study for an exam but to be under constant assignment pressure during your BTEC will set you up for the pressure of Uni assignments! Good luck
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveboi115)
    I’m part of the crap GCSE’s and did a BTEC crew. Whilst I can’t say very much about Law, in the sciences I was much better prepared for university than A-level students. I suppose it would depend on what BTEC you’re doing really, mine was medical science and then I went to Uni to do biomedical science so the comparisons were very close! If your BTEC is related you’re set! If not, I still think you’ll be a step ahead with the way BTEC assignments work being much more closely aligned to the university way of life. Anybody can study for an exam but to be under constant assignment pressure during your BTEC will set you up for the pressure of Uni assignments! Good luck
    This has really reassured me thank you sooo much. Much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by britney123)
    This has really reassured me thank you sooo much. Much appreciated.
    No problem at all! If you want it, then you’ll get there! I spent the whole time wondering if I was actually smart enough to go to uni and especially do a science subject. I pretty much had myself convinced I probably wasn’t going to be able to do it. On the contrary however I’ve finished both first and second years with a 1st and I’m on track for another one this year! It can be done!

ReputationRep:
    No problem at all! If you want it, then you’ll get there! I spent the whole time wondering if I was actually smart enough to go to uni and especially do a science subject. I pretty much had myself convinced I probably wasn’t going to be able to do it. On the contrary however I’ve finished both first and second years with a 1st and I’m on track for another one this year! It can be done!
    I think you should be my motivator i always doubt myself as to whether i can do it or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by britney123)
    I think you should be my motivator i always doubt myself as to whether i can do it or not
    Haha I’ve been there I know exactly what you’re feeling! It will take time, it won’t disappear overnight or anything but as you slowly get settled into Uni life and get some assignments out of the way I think you’ll realise you’re maybe a little better than you had yourself pegged for 👌🏼 Feel free to quote me here anytime or PM if you need a hand with anything ☺️

ReputationRep:
    Haha I’ve been there I know exactly what you’re feeling! It will take time, it won’t disappear overnight or anything but as you slowly get settled into Uni life and get some assignments out of the way I think you’ll realise you’re maybe a little better than you had yourself pegged for 👌🏼 Feel free to quote me here anytime or PM if you need a hand with anything ☺️
    I sure will

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.