The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Why do people leave Open unis to go to Brick unis!!!

Hey could someone explain to me why people say that they are doing a specific course in an Open University to then apply to a brick university..... Because i thought that their degrees ( e.g bachelors Spanish degree was as valued as any other universities) so why do people drop out in the middle

I was thinking of skipping A levels and going to this Open University instead to do a Spanish degree, because i am a native speaker....

do you think its a good idea to do so.... any advice would be appreciated..

thanks

kurt

Scroll to see replies

People have misconceptions about anything that is not traditional.

Many people use the OU as a springboard to a traditional uni. They might want a more physical education. Numerous people on my course are struggling because you are given the tools, a tutor and some words of encouragement. After that, you are left to crunch through the work alone.

They give full 360 credit degrees (fully accredited) with honors. They are currently in the 40's on the TES University rankings for the UK (2018). It is a mid-table university. It is also pretty cheap.

I personally wish that I left high school with my GCSEs and went straight to the OU. To my knowledge, they accept 16-year-old applicants. You should probably contact the admissions.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Why would you spend money do a Spanish degree. You can buy content on amazon that can teach you spanish.
Original post by Davidswift9
Why would you spend money do a Spanish degree. You can buy content on amazon that can teach you spanish.

Teacher of Spanish perhaps?
Original post by Phillip Banks
Teacher of Spanish perhaps?

There's proficiency language exams for that which will give your formal certification for that?
Im confused how the career path to a spanish teacher requires a 3 year spanish degree. Learn spanish and perhaps do another degree instead (which will open your options up) then do the teachers training 1 year course (forgot what its called).
Because a significant part of university is 4 jagerbombs for £10
OU you kind of miss the experience and also the relationships you can build with your classmates which sometimes can help you later in life. Its also easier to get distracted and feel disconnected when just you have to do the work with only online contact. It also isnt as highly regarded as a Russell group, if you want to go into more prestige jobs like banking, law, engineering, and work for big global names thats not the best springboard. Its not impossible but there are simply better names you can put on a degree the OU.
Original post by kurt fiaz
Hey could someone explain to me why people say that they are doing a specific course in an Open University to then apply to a brick university..... Because i thought that their degrees ( e.g bachelors Spanish degree was as valued as any other universities) so why do people drop out in the middle

I was thinking of skipping A levels and going to this Open University instead to do a Spanish degree, because i am a native speaker....

do you think its a good idea to do so.... any advice would be appreciated..

thanks

kurt

People use OU courses as a gateway into brick universities for all sorts of reasons. Personally, I did it because I was ill during school and left before I could sit my A levels, and my local college didn't offer any Access courses. OU degrees are as good as brick uni degrees but there are differences, especially in terms of subject offerings and module content - take Spanish for example, you can study Spanish at the OU but the modules are mostly language-learning, you don't have the opportunity to study Spanish culture, literature or history, and you don't take a year abroad - if you want to study/do those things, then the OU isn't a good option.

BTW doing a language degree in one's native language looks pretty dodgy, employers might (fairly) assume that you were just looking for an easy degree. At any rate, you can only study Spanish at the OU for up to half of your degree, so skipping A levels is not a good idea in my opinion.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
It also isnt as highly regarded as a Russell group, if you want to go into more prestige jobs like banking, law, engineering, and work for big global names thats not the best springboard. Its not impossible but there are simply better names you can put on a degree the OU.

This is completely wrong.
Original post by Snufkin
This is completely wrong.

Its completely true, im not going to lie to people just because it sounds nice. Have a nice day.
OU you kind of miss the experience and also the relationships you can build with your classmates which sometimes can help you later in life. Its also easier to get distracted and feel disconnected when just you have to do the work with only online contact. It also isnt as highly regarded as a Russell group, if you want to go into more prestige jobs like banking, law, engineering, and work for big global names thats not the best springboard. Its not impossible but there are simply better names you can put on a degree the OU.

The first sentence is really weak so I wont comment on that.
The second sentence is also really weak, so I wont comment on that.

Third, I can see the argument there. However I work at a major engineering company and when you start working in a 'real job' you only realise then that no one cares where you got your degree, they care what you know and what you can do. If your still studying, you'll know what I mean when you start work. Also, this would only really count for your first job outside of completing your degree because after you have experience - no one cares where you got your degree, they care that you got one and then care about what you can do.

I work around loads of high level engineers, no one wears what university they went to as a bright big badge because no one cares.

I've been told in every interview that they were impressed with Open Uni and the sacrifice is takes to do it, basically I wrote extensive covering letters showing what is required and I got a lot of job interviews after finishing, so it really doesnt matter where you get your degree, aslong as its accredited and you are good at what you do.

Oh and I also don't have 50,000 worth of debt.
(edited 6 years ago)
There's proficiency language exams for that which will give your formal certification for that?
Im confused how the career path to a spanish teacher requires a 3 year spanish degree. Learn spanish and perhaps do another degree instead (which will open your options up) then do the teachers training 1 year course (forgot what its called).

I have a family member who teaches MFL and she needed a degree to teach in the school she is at now. My class teacher in college had a French degree.

I have never heard of anyone teaching without a degree, but that does not mean it is not unheard of.

I am pretty sure most schools ask for a 2.2/2.1 BA (Hons)
Its completely true, im not going to lie to people just because it sounds nice. Have a nice day.

Do you have any evidence to substantiate your claim? Are you even an OU student?
Reply 13
Yeah thanks very much for that but do you simplify it down to OU being considered less successful or accurate when it comes to academic factors?Also is there such thing in this university as actually studying in the campus for a continuous period of time? Or is it only available to study online?Sorry but I really appreciate the advice from experienced people like you.
The first sentence is really weak so I wont comment on that.
The second sentence is also really weak, so I wont comment on that.

Third, I can see the argument there. However I work at a major engineering company and when you start working in a 'real job' you only realise then that no one cares where you got your degree, they care what you know and what you can do. If your still studying, you'll know what I mean when you start work. Also, this would only really count for your first job outside of completing your degree because after you have experience - no one cares where you got your degree, they care that you got one and then care about what you can do.

I've been told in every interview that they were impressed with Open Uni and the sacrifice is takes to do it, basically I wrote extensive covering letters showing what is required and I got a lot of job interviews after finishing, so it really doesnt matter where you get your degree, aslong as its accredited and you are good at what you do.

Oh and I also don't have 50,000 worth of debt.

Well when i graduate i will have 21,000 pounds debt, and have a Russell group degree which frankly i prefer. Further the relationships you build with your classmates could well be to your advantage, when i did my foundation course in London with my m8 last year we both decided to go to the uni we attend currently. We are friends for life, and i already have met some people i know i will keep in contact with. Lifes also about who you know, not just what you know.
Well when i graduate i will have 21,000 pounds debt, and have a Russell group degree which frankly i prefer. Further the relationships you build with your classmates could well be to your advantage, when i did my foundation course in London with my m8 last year we both decided to go to the uni we attend currently. We are friends for life, and i already have met some people i know i will keep in contact with. Lifes also about who you know, not just what you know.

Haha. I knew you hadnt even finished your degree. Read my previous post a few times.

I have a family friend with a 2.2 Law degree from the OU (his only qualification prior to this was purely vocational). He worked with big firms for a while and then founded his own firm. His firm is a moderately sized company in my area now and he is on silly money.

The OU Law degree is pretty strong in regards to accreditation. Similar to the Engineering degree and the Physics degree.
Original post by Snufkin
Do you have any evidence to substantiate your claim? Are you even an OU student?

I'm not here to start a war, so lets pass on the empirical evidence, the statistics arent worth coming out when we are discussing online degrees.
Original post by Phillip Banks
I have a family friend with a 2.2 Law degree from the OU (his only qualification prior to this was purely vocational). He worked with big firms for a while and then founded his own firm. His firm is a moderately sized company in my area now and he is on silly money.

The OU Law degree is pretty strong in regards to accreditation. Similar to the Engineering degree and the Physics degree.

Once again lets critically analyze my statement a little closer,

I SAID its not impossible, but its not the best springboard name to put on a degree, none of which is untrue...

what people say....

OU SUCKS I GO TO A RUSSELL GROUP IM SUPERIOR....

Dont think that, my favorite lecturer actually did her first degree at OU before doing a master at a Russell and shes the loveliest brightest woman.

Shes also on an economic advisory board or something or the other :smile:

there are multiple paths was just giving my assessment.

Every Russell group university accepts OU graduates onto post-grad courses. they carry similar weight, otherwise, why would your precious RGs accept peasants from other unis?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending