The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Why do people leave Open unis to go to Brick unis!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Realitysreflexx
I think your OU degree is a joke, you think my career fair is a joke,

we can all agree to disagree.

Yet I would have loved to see the day you had when you got that Russell group post grad offer, tell me you didnt think, finally my redemption?

If it didnt honestly matter, why didnt you do your masters at open university? why couldnt you just apply to a former polytechnic?

why did you have to seek out the prestige to make you feel better.

Russell group postgrad applications matter so much because they are the leading institutions for research. It is a collective group of the big research schools. Post-graduate carries most of the RGs weight.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Davidswift9
Is this a joke or are you teasing for responses that will smash you down?

Company culture? Spoken like a true person who has never had a job.

Tips for an application? Let me give you a tip, applications go through human resources, they dont understand anything technical. Its not rocket science, you match key words in a job advert into your CV.

I was on OU Physics. I still get spam emails about job opportunities from the OU careers person (forgot her name) - they're all good companies.

An academic review a CV? You do know most academics at universities have never had a real job? Student -> PhD -> Post-Doc -> Contractor -> Lecturer

I completed a MSc at a Russell group after my OU degree, they do run 'career fairs'. Career fairs are a joke. Companies send their graduates to hand out leaflets.

I'll say it again, no one cares where you get your degree after you have your first job. Its what you can do and what you know.

Enjoy your 50,000 debt. Opening up that first paycheck will give you a shock.

Edited - I just realised someone else ridiculed your points. Shoulda saved the energy in my fingers.

The other poster is [XXX], but I have to say you sound like you have a chip on your shoulder and something to prove. That does not sound to me like someone who is quite comfortable with their educational experience. Rather it screams of insecurity.

Again, the other poster is a [XXX}. But you're not much better.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Notoriety
The other poster is a [XXX], but I have to say you sound like you have a chip on your shoulder and something to prove. That does not sound to me like someone who is quite comfortable with their educational experience. Rather it screams of insecurity.

Again, the other poster is a [XXX}. But you're not much better.

My chip is I spent 9000 on a one year MSc at a Russell Group University, and the reason I choose that university is because there was a limited amount of universities in the UK that offered the course at the time.

I could not be happier with my OU degree.

If my comments on this forum can save someone else from spending a year of their life or going into huge debt for power point presentations at a Brick uni and studying with Open Uni then its worth it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Davidswift9
My chip is I spent 9000 on a one year MSc at a Russell Group University.

I could not be happier with my OU degree.

If my comments on this forum can save someone else from spending a year of their life or going into huge debt for power point presentations at a Brick uni and studying with Open Uni then its worth it.

Well, clearly you studied the MSc for a reason. That reason is probably because you felt insecure about your OU degree relative to RG grads.

To answer OP's question, this is the key reason people leave the OU for RG. For you, I could only say that PG and UG are not direct comparisons. You don't know if academic rigour of an OU UG degree is similar to a brick UG degree, simply because PG qualifications have a tendency to be softer than UG.

Where they can book an appointment to have an academic review their CV?

Do you think academics are any good at writing CVs for non academic jobs?
Original post by ajj2000
Do you think academics are any good at writing CVs for non academic jobs?

The fact that someone who attended university for 8 years and wrote a dissertation of original research work....further are published in academic journals and measured by that and educate entire generations for xxxxx amounts of money......... the fact you all believe they couldnt produce a CV amazes me.

We have someone specifically hired with industry experience teaching us PDLM

Professional Development and leadership skills

We have a module on CV writing....Its pretty decent support.
The fact that someone who attended university for 8 years and wrote a dissertation of original research work....further are published in academic journals and measured by that and educate entire generations for xxxxx amounts of money......... the fact you all believe they couldnt produce a CV amazes me.

We have someone specifically hired with industry experience teaching us PDLM

Professional Development and leadership skills

We have a module on CV writing....Its pretty decent support.

I've helped friends who are/ were researchers at world leading universities, published research etc put CVs together for private sector jobs. Their first attempts were not convincing....

One managed to have a linkedin page with a misspelling of 'student'.
Original post by ajj2000
I've helped friends who are/ were researchers at world leading universities, published research etc put CVs together for private sector jobs. Their first attempts were not convincing....

One managed to have a linkedin page with a misspelling of 'student'.

im not sure im very confident in the validity of your above claim....

you have friends that are researchers at leading universities and now are on the TSR to tell me they cannot spell....odd lol.
im not sure im very confident in the validity of your above claim....

you have friends that are researchers at leading universities and now are on the TSR to tell me they cannot spell....odd lol.

Why? I check a few websites to see if I can assist with career advice in my area of work and sometimes see other threads.
Reply 49
It also isnt as highly regarded as a Russell group, if you want to go into more prestige jobs like banking, law, engineering, and work for big global names thats not the best springboard. Its not impossible but there are simply better names you can put on a degree the OU.

Utter twaddle, again.

So Airbus isn't a global name which has OU engineering alumni? Or Rolls-Royce, or JLR, or BAE, or BP, or...
What about alumni at McKinsey, Bain, BCG?
Or those at JPMorgan, Goldman, DB, Barclays?
Or if hedgefunds or asset management are your thing: Man Group, BlackRock, Bluecrest...

Back to engineering: which university is in the top 10 when ranked for median earnings 5 years after graduation?
The OU. Where's Nottingham? 18th.

Oh, and apropos of nothing: how many times has OU won University Challenge? Twice
And Nottingham? ... pardon? sorry can't hear you...

I rest my case.

ONCE again, im a self funded EU student who except for a 21,000 pound student finance loan

So, not self-funded then.
(edited 6 years ago)
ith the OU
Original post by Doonesbury
Utter twaddle, again.

So Airbus isn't a global name that has OU engineering alumni? Or Rolls-Royce, or JLR, or BAE, or BP, or...
Or if hedgefunds or asset management are your thing: Man Group, BlackRock, Bluecrest...

Oh, and apropos of nothing: how many times has OU won University Challenge? Twice

I rest my case.

Interesting that you mention this. My Dad started as a fitter almost 30 years back. They do fund degrees with the OU and they offer shift leaders the opportunity to study Business with the OU. They have put many fitters through Engineering degrees and many shift leaders through business management courses/degrees (pretty sure the business school has quadruple accreditation from some body).
Reply 51
Original post by Phillip Banks
ith the OU

Interesting that you mention this. My Dad started as a fitter almost 30 years back. They do fund degrees with the OU and they offer shift leaders the opportunity to study Business with the OU. They have put many fitters through Engineering degrees and many shift leaders through business management courses/degrees (pretty sure the business school has quadruple accreditation from some body).

Yes. Business Management is probably the largest alumni subject from the OU on LinkedIn. Nothing wrong with Management as a course is there reflexxx?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes. Business Management is probably the largest alumni subject from the OU on LinkedIn. Nothing wrong with Management as a course is there reflexxx?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Larger companies tend to like to just train current employees I guess. A friend from my high school 3 years ago left to start as a fitter with Airbus. People criticized his decision but he is now working as a fitter and studying an Engineering degree with the OU part-time.

Divergence from traditional raises ambiguity. My OU tutor lectures at one of the best universities in the UK for English and has continually prompted me to consider an application upon completion of my B.A. Our regional tutor lectures at Durham and once again, has been nothing but supportive of OU students considering an application.

Divergence from traditional raises ambiguity. My OU tutor lectures at one of the best universities in the UK for English and has continually prompted me to consider an application upon completion of my B.A. Our regional tutor lectures at Durham and once again, has been nothing but supportive of OU students considering an application.

A BA which you started in Feb 2018. How significant do you think it is that your regional tutor, who has known for you maybe 26 days, thinks you could do an MA at Durham?

I don't even disagree with your overall conclusion. It's just the premises are hugely questionable. And like the other poster above, they seem to be related to dispelling your own doubts about your course rather than informing people about the quality of education at the OU.
Utter twaddle, again.

So Airbus isn't a global name which has OU engineering alumni? Or Rolls-Royce, or JLR, or BAE, or BP, or...

Back to engineering: which university is in the top 10 when ranked for median earnings 5 years after graduation?
The OU. Where's Nottingham? 18th.

I rest my case.

You want to spew your worthless knowledge about OU be my guest, like a tv show has anything to do with life chances, i dont think Albert Einstein lectured at OU, but he did in the great hall where i took my exams,

further i said I am self-funded except for tuition, thats more then 85 percent of british students can say, so lobbying me to the virtues of an online course so i wont graduate with 50k worth of debt doesnt apply to me.

You want to know whats utter twadlle anything that comes out of your cheesy screenname m8. I dont see why you insist on speaking to me.
T
A BA which you started in Feb 2018. How significant do you think it is that your regional tutor, who has known for you maybe 26 days, thinks you could do an MA at Durham?

I don't even disagree with your overall conclusion. It's just the premises are hugely questionable. And like the other poster above, they seem to be related to dispelling your own doubts about your course rather than informing people about the quality of education at the OU.

1) I have no doubts about my education. The OU is placed 42nd in the leaderboards. That cant be disputed. It is purely factual.
2) If I was not in a hospital bed, I would be in Durham studying Lit.
3) My lecturers have encouraged me to consider Durham. They have not told anyone that they are able. I have been told that a 2.1 from the OU would stand a chance in an application. This is coming from a lecturer who teaches the MA.
3) If I had doubts, I would not use my student loan on an inferior institution. Hypothetically if I was not painfully ill and I could go out regularly, Keele would be my local uni and the OU is placed 5 places higher than it in the leaderboards.
4) The poster above is probably the best person to listen to on the matter.
T

1) I have no doubts about my education. The OU is placed 42nd in the leaderboards. That cant be disputed. It is purely factual.
2) If I was not in a hospital bed, I would be in Durham studying Lit.
3) My lecturers have encouraged me to consider Durham. They have not told anyone that they are able. I have been told that a 2.1 from the OU would stand a chance in an application. This is coming from a lecturer who teaches the MA.
3) If I had doubts, I would not use my student loan on an inferior institution. Hypothetically if I was not painfully ill and I could go out regularly, Keele would be my local uni and the OU is placed 5 places higher than it in the leaderboards.
4) The poster above is probably the best person to listen to on the matter.

If you see my post, I don't disagree with your conclusion. Just your premises, which again seem to be dispelling your own doubts rather than elucidating objectively the quality of OU. Consider it as lady doth protest too much; you are protesting significantly, and to what end? To make yourself feel better or to help other users? When you also consider the weakness of your contentions, notably that a lecturer who has known you for a few weeks thinks you'd stand a chance at Durham, it points towards the former.

Well, why's that bad? It weakens the entirety of your point in the eyes of other posters. I for one do not want realitysreflect, an eminently intellectual poster (as Snufkin would have me say), look like he is on the winning side. He's not; he's completely wrong about most things, and about the OU particularly. Notwithstanding the weakness/clutching-at-straws quality of several of your points.
If you see my post, I don't disagree with your conclusion. Just your premises, which again seem to be dispelling your own doubts rather than elucidating objectively the quality of OU. Consider it as lady doth protest too much; you are protesting significantly, and to what end? To make yourself feel better or to help other users? When you also consider the weakness of your contentions, notably that a lecturer who has known you for a few weeks thinks you'd stand a chance at Durham, it points towards the former.

Well, why's that bad? It weakens the entirety of your point in the eyes of other posters. I for one do not want realitysreflect, an eminently intellectual poster (as Snufkin would have me say), look like he is on the winning side. He's not; he's completely wrong about most things, and about the OU particularly. Notwithstanding the weakness/clutching-at-straws quality of several of your points.

You guys think your defending instuitions, we were having a very calm debate about simple differences of unis,

Here you and poop the party Doonesbury show up with

you your sheakspeare lesson tearing this poor kids dreams apart.
Doonesbury with his typical frappe motto of bs, i am the god king of university knowledge crap.

That is what has made the post toxic and frankly if you overqualified fake posh lippos werent running around we would have clean fun debates, this was an imperfect knowledge thread of friendly exchanges.

Your defending your own delusional TSR egos, which is awfully pathetic.

That is now all anyone could ever take from this thread.....reflexx out.
You guys think your defending instuitions, we were having a very calm debate about simple differences of unis,

Here you and poop the party Doonesbury show up with

you your sheakspeare lesson tearing this poor kids dreams apart.
Doonesbury with his typical frappe motto of bs, i am the god king of university knowledge crap.

That is what has made the post toxic and frankly if you overqualified fake posh lippos werent running around we would have clean fun debates, this was an imperfect knowledge thread of friendly exchanges.

Your defending your own delusional TSR egos, which is awfully pathetic.

That is now all anyone could ever take from this thread.....reflexx out.

Is this your way of complimenting my writing style? Well, I am honoured!
i dont think Albert Einstein lectured at OU, but he did in the great hall where i took my exams,.

Not sure why Einstein accepting an invitation from a friend to talk at Nottingham (before it was even a university) almost 90 years ago is relevant, but that little piece of trivia does nothing to refute the excellent points Doonesbury has made. :dong:

This is not a debate, if it were one you would have answered my question. I asked you four hours ago for some (any!) evidence to support your assertion that the OU is not as good as RG universities, unsurprisingly you never replied... I wonder why?

I for one do not want realitysreflect, an eminently intellectual poster (as Snufkin would have me say), look like he is on the winning side.

Not at all, he patently is not that - but if you're going to criticise someone, do it without being rude. :smile: :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest