Jian17
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
May someone please explain this question to me?
It seems straightforward but I don't understand it sorry.

https://gyazo.com/c3ed58404f292f17280c4e115b20b3ff
westcw13
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, you can think of this like y = bsinx a

It's a graph of 2sinx that's been moved up by 1, so a=1 and b=2 (If you move it all down by 1 you'll see that it is a normal sin graph, but goes between -2 and 2, so has been stretched upwards by times 2)

I don't know what the answer is, or if that's right, but that's what I'd put.

Sorry if that explanation was horrible lol, but hope that helps
Jian17
Rep:
?
Uhmm the answer is correct , but I dont understand it Its probably because I need to learn the trigonometric graphs, I can do all the trigonometic equations and identities questions without knowing the trig graphs tho...

What does the a and b supposed to be in the graph?

Thanks!
old_engineer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jian17)
Uhmm the answer is correct , but I dont understand it Its probably because I need to learn the trigonometric graphs, I can do all the trigonometic equations and identities questions without knowing the trig graphs tho...

What does the a and b supposed to be in the graph?

Thanks!
You are right - you do need to learn the shapes of the trig graphs. But this is really about linear transformation of a function. y = a + bsinx is a linear transformation of y = sinx with a vertical stretch factor of b and a vertical shift of a.
westcw13
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Oh okay, no worries!

The +a is going to translate the graph vertically (so +1 will move the whole thing up by 1)

bsinx means that you'll have a sinx graph that has been stretched by b (so 2sinx means times all the y coordinates by 2)

Use BIDMAS, so you have to times the Y coordinates by 2 first and then shift the whole graph up by 1.

Sorry if this isn't making too much sense, someone much better at explaining than me should see this soon!
username3781180
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
May someone please explain this question to me?
It seems straightforward but I don't understand it sorry.

https://gyazo.com/c3ed58404f292f17280c4e115b20b3ff
I got 1+2sinx

The way I did it was by looking at the graph . I used the coordinate (0,1) to find a , then use coordinate (1/2pi,3) to find the value of b .
username3781180
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by HelloImCool)
I got 1+2sinx

The way I did it was by looking at the graph . I used the coordinate (0,1) to find a , then use coordinate (1/2pi,3) to find the value of b .
I don’t know if this is the best way to approach it though. I just used simple algebra

I self quoted myself sorry
Jian17
Rep:
?
Thanks everyone for their help! I understand it better now, I will ask my teacher to explain it to me too when i can just to make sure i understand the concept tho
Jian17
Rep:
?
(Original post by HelloImCool)
I got 1+2sinx

Why did you use the coordinate 1/2pi,3 to find b?? I can see why you used 0,1 but the other one :s
old_engineer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why did you use the coordinate 1/2pi,3 to find b?? I can see why you used 0,1 but the other one :s
You’re over complicating it.

y = sinx is a periodic function with a minimum value of -1 and a maximum value of +1. The difference between the two is 1 - (-1) = 2.

The transformation of y = sinx shown in the diagram is a periodic function with a minimum value of -1 and a maximum value of 3. The difference between the two is 3 - (-1) = 4. So the stretch factor b is .....
username3781180
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
3=1+b(sin(90)) —> sin 90 =1

3=1+b
2=b
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.18%
I'm not sure (26)
4.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (179)
31.74%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.13%
I'm not a current university student (267)
47.34%

Watched Threads