Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I get what the dilemma is...but I don't get what's wrong with the idea that God's commands define goodness.

The argument that what's good and bad in turn is arbitrary , doesn't make much sense to me. It's not as if God will make evil acts like murder right, so what relevance does the fact its arbitrary have?

ReputationRep:
    If what's good is good because God commands it, then acts like murder are only evil because God commands that. If tomorrow God commanded that murder was good, then it would become good. So why wouldn't he do it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe312)
    If what's good is good because God commands it, then acts like murder are only evil because God commands that. If tomorrow God commanded that murder was good, then it would become good. So why wouldn't he do it?
    Oh that clears it up so much! Thank you greatly.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.