Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I was seen by the police doing 70 on a 40mph road, I was pulled over and asked why. Told them because my mum is in hospital which she was so the road was clear and it was late at night so I put my foot down and didn't see the police car. Now got a letter to go to court just wondered what I will get for it ? My mum does have mental difficulties and I am her carer which is why I need the car to take her to hospital etc. also need the car to get to university. My black box score does show that my driving is good and can also show that to the judge. Only reason why was in a rush because I was worried about my mother. But what would I get for it ? 3 points and a fine ? Because this is my first offense driving and I have had my license less than two years actually just less than a year.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Tkid78)
    Hi I was seen by the police doing 70 on a 40mph road, I was pulled over and asked why. Told them because my mum is in hospital which she was so the road was clear and it was late at night so I put my foot down and didn't see the police car. Now got a letter to go to court just wondered what I will get for it ? My mum does have mental difficulties and I am her carer which is why I need the car to take her to hospital etc. also need the car to get to university. My black box score does show that my driving is good and can also show that to the judge. Only reason why was in a rush because I was worried about my mother. But what would I get for it ? 3 points and a fine ? Because this is my first offense driving and I have had my license less than two years actually just less than a year.
    Does the court summons state you were doing 70?

This is Band C, so a short disqualification, or 6 points and a hefty fine. If you've held your licence less than 2 years, you'll be losing it.

You won't be able to get out of this at all, sorry, but this is your own doing.

ReputationRep:
    Hi thanks would be happy if I was to get disqualified for a few days and a fine but not 6 points. Oh well. Thanks and yes I am to blame no one else.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hi thanks would be happy if I was to get disqualified for a few days and a fine but not 6 points. Oh well. Thanks and yes I am to blame no one else.
    All depends what the magistrates give you, but given you're a new driver, I'd reckon it'll be the 6 points.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Magistrates are aware of the loopholes. It depends on the mood of the magistrate and if they are inclined to give you a short sharp shock to set an example.

New insurance premiums will be the killer. If you get points it's also a change in circumstance, which must be notified to your insurer or you may find yourself uninsured in the event of an accident.

If you have passed your test within the last two years, then you will need to reapply for your licence only after taking and passing the driving test again.

ReputationRep:
    You might get the 6 points but no disqualification if they deem loss of your license will cause your family unnecessary hardship; but it won't matter as you won't be able to afford the insurance.

You're almost definitely looking at a loss of license otherwise though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    It depends on the mood of the magistrate and if they are inclined to give you a short sharp shock to set an example. New insurance premiums will be the killer. If you get points it's also a change in circumstance, which must be notified to your insurer or you may find yourself uninsured in the event of an accident.
    +1

Also, learn from your mistakes, love. It's not simple to remove when you're young (or old according to my mum). lol

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.