The Student Room Group

Opportunities for a good uni application

I’m in year 11 so not applying to uni yet, but when I’m in sixth form I want to do things, like volunteering and other extra-curricular things to make a stronger application.
What things would you recommend?

Not doing NCS as I can’t find a date that fits around fixed plans.
Original post by hqnnlr
I’m in year 11 so not applying to uni yet, but when I’m in sixth form I want to do things, like volunteering and other extra-curricular things to make a stronger application.

What do you want to study?
Uni taster days
Summer schools
Related Work experience
EPQ
Blogging about your chosen subject
Tutoring younger students
Organising events for your school
Reply 3
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
What do you want to study?

doing history, Spanish and English Language at college, looking to do History and Spanish as one course at uni
Reply 4
Do stuff like DofE Gold as it’s recognisable and well known also it’s great fun
Original post by hqnnlr

Original post by Eddeb
Do stuff like DofE Gold as it’s recognisable and well known also it’s great fun

Extra curricular "stuff" is really not that beneficial for UK uni applications. At least 3/4 of your PS should be relevant to the subject you want to study. In order to impress unis, you need to do things relevant to your subject that show an academic interest. This could include summer schools, relevant volunteering, reading around the subject, maybe working with a school club for the subject. For languages, an exchange or work experience in a country that speaks the language might be good- but just taking a holiday there wouldn't be. Tutors want to see why you want to study that subject at uni.

Doing things like DofE or NCS or non-specific volunteering can help with getting jobs, and help develop you as a person, but they aren't really that useful for getting into uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending